Chapter 22

Trigger warning: there is mention of sexual harassment in this chapter.
————————————————————————

*Annabelle's POV*

Dinner went smoothly. We went out to a diner and the food was great. Will and Adam hit it off pretty well, but the conversation was dominated by Isa and I. After dinner Isa and Will went back to their hotel room. They would be back tomorrow to hang out.

"I'm home." I mumbled as I opened the door to our apartment.

Adam chuckled behind me.

I smiled at him as I walked into the living room. "So, what did you think of my sister?" I asked.

"She's great. You two are very alike. It was a surprise that she's mated." Adam said.

I nodded, "I would have never imagined. A Beta too, I'm so proud of her." I tilted my head to Adam, "It sounded like you and Will managed to hit things off?"

Adam smiled, "Yeah, Alpha's and Beta's are often easy to talk with because we relate on a lot of things. Besides, we each have one of the Carter twins as our mates so that's a good thing as well." He said with a grin as he walked up to me and hugged me.

I giggled and placed my head on his shoulder, basking in the warmth Adam was giving me. I sighed as I thought about the day. I was so excited to see my sister again. She meant the world to me. She always helps me out. Always knows what to say. Like during our talk this afternoon. Speaking of which...

"Adam?" Adam hummed in response, "C-can we talk about something?" I managed to ask.

There, I started the conversation. No going back now Anna.

Adam broke our hug and looked at me with a confused frown on his face, "Sure? What do you want to talk about."

I opened my mouth to start talking, only to completely forget what I was about to say. How do I start this? How do I even bring this up?

Adam gently grabbed my cheek and looked at me, "What's wrong Anna?" He asked in a soft but concerned voice.

I decided to walk over to the couch to sit down, Adam followed and sat down next to me.

"When you got angry at Gamma Tim, was it because he touched me or because of something more?" I decided to ask, remembering what Isa asked me this afternoon.

Adam frowned, "Anna, I told you I don't want to be that possessi-"

"It's fine. That's not what this is about! Just answer the question, please." I pleaded.

Adam looked at me for a moment before sighing and placing a hand in his hair, "It wasn't because he was touching you. You looked terrified, that is what threw me off."

I couldn't help but smile, so he did notice. My smile confused Adam, "I assume that was the right answer?"

I nodded, "Yes. I uh... there is a reason why it freaked me out so much. That's what I want to talk about."

"If I have to hunt the idiot down I wil-"

"Not with the Gamma! It's something that happened in my past. The situation that happened a week ago just reminded me of it." I told him.

Adam blinked, "Ok?"

I took a deep breath, "During my first year of college I got my first boyfriend." I could see Adam's jaw clench instantly, but I continued, "Up till that point it had always been me and Isa, so I never had the time for boys. When we went our separate ways in college that changed."