Chapter 5

*Annabelle's POV*

The trip to the den took a while, but Adam knew the way. We left the house with me holding him on a leash. It took ten minutes before I could convince Cade that the leash and collar were necessary. He didn't like them at all. I guess I understood, but right now he had to. I told him that in a couple weeks, he'd be so well trained that he wouldn't need a leash. In that I didn't tell him that a collar would still be necessary. I would open that pandora's box later.

Once we reached the woods Adam shifted back and put on some sweatpants. He wasn't wearing a shirt but I was honestly not complaining. His back was quite a sight.

Adam looked back at me to make sure I was still following. It made me smile. I didn't really understand why, but I felt a sense of safety with him. I wasn't sure if that was entirely healthy, considering I met him yesterday as a dog, and this morning he was naked in my bed, but I couldn't help the feeling.

I learned that he was quite calm in his behavior. He was clearly more introverted than extroverted, considering he lived alone in the forest for six years. I don't think he's used to talking much either. His wolf is a bit more forward. He's dominant, which I guess makes sense with male wolves.

"So, is there anything I should know about werewolves?" I asked, wanting to make conversation.

Adam glanced back and smiled, "We can shift, heal faster than humans, have heightened senses and live in packs. That's the basics."

"Heightened senses? Like better hearing?"

Adam nodded, "Better hearing, smelling that kind of stuff. I can also see in the dark."

"That's so cool!" I exclaimed.

Adam just chuckled before stopping, "Here we are."

I ran up to him, excited to see where Adam used to live. There was a small clearing, and a cave hidden next to the stream that we had been following for a while. Adam walked in like he had no trouble seeing, which I guess he just told me he hadn't. But for me it had already gotten quite dark, so I carefully made my way into the cave.

"Uh, can I turn on my flashlight?" I asked, completely lost in the darkness.

Adam laughed, "Sure, love."

I felt my cheeks heat at the endearment and got my phone out. I turned on the flashlight and looked around the cave. There wasn't much in it. There were a few clothes stuffed in a corner, they didn't look like nature had been kind to them though. On the other side was a bed made from leaves, and that was it.

"It's not much, but it was home." Adam explained as he crouched down to check the clothes. "Yeah, these didn't survive the month. They were ragged before that too."

"Aren't you glad you have a great housemate who bought you clothes." I said with a wink.

Adam grinned, "Yes. I'm glad to have you, mate."

I frowned slightly. He forgot 'house'. But I guess in England and Australia mate means friend? I shook off the warm shiver that ran through my body.

"So I assume we're not taking anything back home then?" I asked.

Adam shook his head, "I didn't have any possessions besides these rags. I lived of the forest, and with Cade I didn't even need to cook food."

Wow. I couldn't even think of living out here. His wolf side must be quite dominant for him to be able to live like this.

Adam walked up to me, "Let's go home." He spoke in a soft voice.

I smiled and nodded, "Let's!"