Chapter 1

*Annabelle's POV*

I sighed as I closed the door behind me. "I'm home." I spoke into the empty hallway.

I had started doing that recently. Welcome myself home. All my life I had been surrounded by people. I lived in a family of four. My parents and twin-sister, and when I went out of state for college I lived in dorms with a roommate. But now that I got my own apartment, I lived alone.

It was lonely, of course. I was an extrovert at heart. I loved being around people all the time. It was one of the reasons I became a teacher. So I could have had human connections every single day. Even on my day off or in the weekends, I tried to hang out with friends as often as I could. Of course, all my college friends had gone off on their own as well. Which only left two of my best friends: Robin and Fred. Fred was short for Frederique, but none of us really knew how to pronounce that, so Fred or Freddy it is.

Her parents were French, thought they moved to Maine before Fred was born, and Fred could speak French fluently. Robin was an American like me. She came from Texas, which was quite a difference from me, who came from the state of Oregon. We now lived in Maine, and I was honestly glad both Fred and Robin decided to get jobs here as well.

I made my way to the kitchen and placed my bag on the counter. What to eat tonight? I looked over to the pizza box in the trash can. Dammit, why did I order food yesterday? I don't feel like cooking.

I ended up making spaghetti. A simple and quick meal. I ate it on the couch in front of my TV. Eating at the dining table made me sad, since I had no one to talk to, so instead I tried to trick myself into having conversations with the TV.

After hours of sitting in front of the TV something in my pocket vibrated. My eyes lit up as I received a call. I gladly picked up, "Hey"

"Heey girl! How was work today?" My sisters voice came from the other side of the phone.

I smiled, "Good, I gave them a pop quiz on the States topography. I think all of them failed."

Isabelle laughed, "You're so mean."

Yes, my parents thought it was funny to name me Annabelle and my sister Isabelle. It didn't help that we looked exactly alike too, being twins. The both of us had long blonde hair and green eyes. Most people in school just called both of us Belle because they didn't know which one of us was which.

"It's not my fault the kids don't remember their States. They're like 16 Isa, every American 16 year old should know the States of America by heart." I countered.

Isa groaned, "Anna, I don't know the States by heart."

"And it breaks my heart every time!" I exclaimed and placed a hand on my heart, even though I knew Isa couldn't see me.

"Calm it teach. We all have our strengths and weaknesses." Isa defended.

I smiled, "Indeed. How are you doing? All that math stuff you do all day freaks me out!"

Isa laughed, "That 'math stuff' is called being a financial analyst. And it's going well. I would say more but I bet you wouldn't understand it."

I scrunched up my nose, "Whatever, nerd."

"You're the one going to school every day for the rest of your life." Isa shot back.

I chuckled, "Man, I miss you sis."

"You getting lonely out there?" Isa asked me.

I hummed a reply, "I don't know. I speak to so many people every day and have friends here but being alone in my apartment somehow feels suffocating." I explained myself, glad my sister was here to listen. We always had a tight bond, and we told each other everything.