I watched our mate return with the glasses and her other friend, who had been silent before all this, asked how I - the dog - had been so far. Her skin tone was darker than our mate's and the other girl's. Her hair was long and brown, and her eyes were also brown. She smelled slightly weird. Like a werewolf had been close to her recently. Maybe she's friends with one without knowing? She's human for sure, the scent just surrounds her slightly. Maybe she has a mate, she's not marked though.

'Well neither is our mate' Cade pointed out.

'Shut it'

I could see Annabelle smirk. Oh no. "No, he's a good boy. A sweetheart really." She glanced at me and Cade gave her a glare which the minx just returned with a grin, "At the pet shelter they said it was weird that he was so kind to me. We don't really know why he likes me so much over anyone else."

Halfway through her sentence I stopped listening as I saw one of her friends mix her a drink with way too much alcohol in it. Anna seemed to have noticed it too, "Excuse me?"

"Come on hun. You've been teaching all week. Live a little!" her friend said.

Her other friend sighed, "You say that every week Robin."

"Shhh. Usually it works!"

Anna rolled her eyes and took a swig of the glass. Her face scrunched up and I cringed at the sight. "God that doesn't get easier." She spoke.

"Your choice. Just know your dog can't clean up your vomit when you get home tonight." Her brown haired friend spoke.

Oh I could. But did I really want to?

---

Two hours later I was truly panicking. Our mate was clearly tipsy, and her pats have gotten sloppier. Cade had walked over to calm us. Whenever our mate touched us, sparks would follow wherever her skin had been, which felt absolutely amazing. Trying to calm us worked at first, but not so much as the signs of alcohol started showing on her.

What if something happens when she's drunk?

What if a guy comes onto her?

Fuck. I should be the one protecting her.

'Calm down human. You're freaking me out' Cade growled.

'Sorry. I can't help it.'

'Don't you think I don't know that. I would shift and let you hold her back if it wasn't for her friends being here or the fact that she wants to leave.' Cade spoke.

I sighed. This sucks. Maybe I should just introduce myself next week. That way I could join without raising suspicion.

Except for the fact that Anna told me she doesn't want them to know about a guy living in her house. Dammit!

I decided to listen to the conversation again. I had learned who Robin and who Fred was. Robin was the party redhead, and obviously drunk already, while Fred was a lot calmer and took it easy on the alcohol.

"Nah, he didn't have enough stamina." Robin spoke with a slight slur.

"Your standards are way too high." Anna told her with a chuckle.

I swear, all this girl talks about is sex.

"Excuse me, I just expect a man to be able to hold out." Robin defended.

Cade and I let out a snort, which was punished by a pinch in our ear. She did that whenever we did something that wasn't dog-like. It didn't hurt, and it was actually kind of cute.