Chapter 25

He threw the cup at the wall and watched it shatter into a million pieces, he had lost them once again and his hopes were crushed. He had a lead on Marcus Humphrey but his systems failed and once again, Humphrey was gone, vanished into thin air. 
Foils was a lot harder to find, he was a lot better at staying under the radar and that made it a lot harder. 
He looked down at the files on the desk, 'Project Scarecrow', he muttered, he used to work with these two men, but shit hit the fan and because of that, he had lost his family. He picked up the files and flicked through them. Inside contained codes, codes that can break through systems anywhere but mainly  it was designed to destroy and hack into computer software. Sadly the project failed, but anyone who was working on it was still in danger because he knew that whoever was running the show wanted everyone to be eliminated, they didn't want any witnesses. He had kept track on them and he had also heard about the sudden and mysterious deaths of some of the co workers, and at first he was afraid, until he managed to hack through the system with their own codes and he could see that he was no longer part of them, he had become like any other normal citizen, he was free and untouchable. 

Foils and Humphrey were lead workers in the case, and he, stood by their side, so he was quite surprised that they were able to stay alive for this long, they won't be for long once I get my hands on them, he thinks to himself and he can't help by smile.

'Need another drink?'

He spun around and cursed, 'don't sneak up on me like that!' The young woman chuckled, 'that's okay, I heard the cup smash, doesn't sound good'.

'I lost track of the fucker'.

'What happened?'

She joined his side to check the computer, 'system failed or something?' He was almost too embarrassed to tell her that she was right, but he knew that he could trust her, she had been by his side for most of his life. She suddenly clapped her hands, 'alright, how about I start to help, so we split, I go for Humphrey and you focus on Foils?'

'Sounds like a plan, but, leave Humphrey's to me afterwards'.

'What? Why?'

'You've already done enough for me sweetie, you dealt with Malloy perfectly, but...'.

'I took out Moore, but I found no satisfaction with the way you kill, so I wanted to try my way with Malloy!'

He slid the files across the table towards her, 'I know, but you've, in a way, made a kink in the line, one death that looks different, and they've most likely picked up on it', she chuckled as she flicked through one of them, 'I'm sorry, but I still enjoyed it, but I still haven't told mum'.
He shook his head, 'and it's best that you don't, it'll break her, so as long as it's kept a secret the better our lives will be, all three of us'.

'Let the hunt begin'.

'Sure thing Scarecrow, she teased him, but her smile was gone when she looked at his neck, 'where's my necklace?' His hand quickly went to touch his neck and his eyes grew wide, 'shit....'.

'Where is it!?'

He closed his eyes and groaned in anger, 'shit it must have broken off, maybe when I was with Holly!'

'Are you sure!?'

He raked his fingers through his hair and nodded, 'that man was very hard to deal with, the chain must have broken, I'll search for it... But they've already searched the area!' She almost looked like she would cry, 'no! Please, please, I need it back!' He quickly grabbed her and pulled her into a hug, 'I'm sorry, I shouldn't have taken it, I only meant to wear it for good luck, I'll find a way to get it back', he stroked her hair and she started to sob, her hands clasped tightly onto his jacket.
He had to think deeply about this, 'I think... If I can't find the necklace it means that they've got it, so I'll have to break through their computer software and try and steal it', she wiped her eyes, 'but you might get caught!'
He shook his head 'listen baby, I was careless, and I want to make you happy, so I'm going to get it back!'

'When are you going to hack them?'

'Tonight, I'll do it tonight, because we have the proper codes to do it remember?'

'You need to come back to me alive okay!'

'I will'.

He stroked her hair, 'I promise to get back in one piece and bring you the necklace', her grip tightened, 'promise?'

'I promise'.