Chapter 7

Two Days Later

Another report of a body being found, propped up just like Mr. Holly's.

'Jesus Christ'.

Storm couldn't help but mutter the sentence as he examined the body from a far. Stacey approached them, 'female, Caucasian, late teens early twenties'. 

'God... Just a child?' 

Stacey glared at him, 'you're not making anything better right now'.

'Not that it's getting any better now'. 

'Guys', Baloc clicked his fingers in front of them , ' that's enough. This victim's been strung up just like the last victim... As if -'.

'Representing a scarecrow'.

Storm said, as his mind flashed back to the day they had found Mr. Holly strung up, also the silver chain with the pedants attached. 

'I'll get the DNA results back to the lab'.

Stacey mumbles as she rushes off, 'god... Why does she even -'.

'Storm, just drop it'.

'Are you okay? You seem a little off'.

'What'd you mean?'

'I mean... You never really have a go at me'.

Baloc shakes his head and heads towards his car and Storm follows, 'Lockie, hey, what's going -', Baloc spins on his heels and glares at Storm, 'don't call me Lockie!' 
Storm halts to a stop and stares at him, Jesus, he wasn't use to this. They stare at each other for a few moments, 'alright... Sorry', Storm says quietly, and he hears Baloc sigh, 'we've got to head back to the lab', he turns to the car and starts walking, but notices that Storm wasn't following.

'Storm?'

'I... I think I'll stay back with Rushforth, I'll meet you later'.

Storm shoves his hands in his pockets before turning back towards the crime scene. A few more moments and he hears Baloc's car start to life. 

What the hell happened?

Storm joins Rushforth, 'anything else around here?' He mumbles and Rushforth groans as he stands up, 'no, nothing here'.

'Any necklaces?

'No... Are you okay?'

'What?'

'You never bug me on the field, you're usually standing on the other side of the world puking or something.... What's wrong?'

'... Something's been eating away at Baloc'.

'What... Did he yell at you or something?'

'....'.

'Oh.... Sadly I can't really help you in that area'. 

Storm chuckled, 'no, I know, I just needed someone to talk to you... I let Baloc leave with out me... I didn't really wanna be in the same car with him, a little awkward?'

Rushforth nods before packing his things, 'I'll be heading back to the lab, 'I'll give you a lift'.

'Thanks buddy'.

Storm followed Rushforth into the hall, 'I'd say Stacey would have the ID ready for us', he said as he pushed open the double doors and Storm sees Stacey leaning over the table, 'hey, so I've managed to get the results through, 'Sarah Moore, aged nineteen'.

'God'.

Storm didn't say anything further and Stacey's eyes flicked over to him, and she opened her mouth to say something but Rushforth walks in front of her, 'alright, that's great, where's Baloc?'

'He's up in his office, sulking'.

'Why the hell for?'

Storm was quite shocked, 'what the hell happened to him?'

'Beats me, you're his partner in crime, why don't you ask him yourself?'

She turns away and he could tell she was pretending to ignore him.

Storm slowly moves down the office isles, Baloc's desk was on the other side, why the hell do I have to talk to him? 
He almost falters when he sees Baloc sitting in  his office chair, 'uh... Here's the results -'.

'Storm'.

'Sarah Moore, nineteen years old'.

'Storm.

'Rushforth couldn't find -'.

'Storm!' Baloc springs up from his chair and his hand shoots out to grab Storm by the collar, 'stop -just... Stop', he gently shoves him back. The office had gone suddenly quiet and Storm looked over his shoulder to see a few of the workers looking over at them, 'Baloc... You wanna talk about it?'
He's afraid that Baloc might lash out at him again, 'talk outside'.

'I'll grab a couple of coffees?'

'Please'.

Storm sits near the fountain and sips his coffee, 'so... I'm not the real reason you're mad?' Baloc smirks, 'you're annoying, but... I had no right to yell at you like that, I'm sorry, it's just...'.

'Is it family issues?'

'Deacon'.

'Oh... Shit uh... I don't know if I'm the best person to talk to about -'.

'Storm, shut up and listen, just listen'.

Storm takes another sip, 'hit me', he hears Baloc sigh, 'well Deacon wants another child'.

'Really? That's it?'

Baloc frowned, 'what do you mean, that's it?' Storm shakes his head, 'what? You don't want more kids?'

'Well... I don't know'.

'So you had a fight with Deacon'.

Baloc nodded, 'she didn't speak to me this morning and I don't blame her'. 

'I mean... I know I'm not in your position, I'm not a father, but I kinda get how you feel, but honestly, I think you guys will be fine'.

Baloc chuckled and took a sip of his drink, 'thanks, I appreciate it'.