Chapter 24

I gasp as my head breaks through the surface. Gulping air greedily as I struggle to stay up, my hair sticking to my face. Once the panic fades from my body I break into laughter as Jeff tries to seem worried but his carved smile prevents that. "Jeff, you look constipated trying to frown." I laugh and Jeff laughs with me. "God you scared us." He says and I notice his has a tight grip on my wrist. "Aww my hoodie is wet now." I pout and paddles towards the land Jeff following. "Isn't that one of dad's?" Levi asks once we reach the sand. "Yeah, But it'll dry." I hum as water drips off me. I shake my head flinging water in all directions laughing as Jane squeals leaping away from me.  I cackle loudly and chases after her. I swipe at her arms trying to grab her not noticing that everyone is in their human form. That is until I hear her voice drift towards me. I freeze in my tracks my heart pounding in my chest. No matter what I do my legs won't respond. "Excuse me?" She asks. Levi hugs my legs and I sink down into a crouch and holds him closely as we keep our backs to her. "What the hell is she doing here?" I snarl under my breath. Levi shrugs and he flips my hood up so it covers my head. My hands shake and I sink my teeth into my lip till blood is dripping off my chin. "Yes?" Masky answers turning to face her. I glace at Jeff and Lui to gage their reactions. Their eyes were widen and mouths wide open in surprise. "I was over there and I thought your one friend in the dark hoodie looked familiar. JD? Is that you?" She asks and I can feel her eyes burning into my back. I swallow hard and stands up turning towards her. "I'm sorry Ma'am I don't know anyone by that name. That's Nick, he's really shy." Hoodie says intervening. "Oh, okay. Sorry to bother you guys then. Have a nice day." She says and leaves. I collapse to my knees and lets out the breath I was holding. The others swarm me, with Jeff and Lui in the front of the crowd. "You were actually telling the truth. Holy shit." Lui says. I nod my head. "Why would I lie about something like that? It wouldn't help anyone." I say rubbing the back of my neck pulling my hood off. "Levi, can you let go of my leg? I can feel your nails drawing blood." I say looking down at him. His knuckles are white the the pressure he is putting into hold my leg. "Levi, we are safe. She won't get us. Soon we will get our revenge. I promise. " I say gently grabbing his hands and removing them from my leg. Deep red nail marks are left behind in my calf. "She was so close to us though. She could have grabbed us and took us home and hide us away." he mutters his eyes wide with fear. I crouch down to his level and grabs his shoulders tightly and makes him face me. "Levi Tucker, I would never let that happen. You know that." I say. Levi nods his head and I smile and ruffle his hair.