𝓔𝓹𝓲𝓼𝓸𝓭𝓮 55: 𝓜𝔂 𝓞𝓵𝓭 𝓕𝓻𝓲𝓮𝓷𝓭 𝓕𝓲𝓷𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓛𝓮𝓪𝓿𝓮𝓼

July 21, 1976

"When is the blasted car going to get here!?" I exclaimed angrily.

I tapped my foot impatiently, not one to like being kept waiting.

"Don't worry your majesty, it should be here within the next few minutes," Admiral Georges Kuto replied.

"I know Admiral, I'm not a very patient person,"

"I can tell," He replied, "Thank you again for inviting me along your majesty,"

"It really isn't any trouble Admiral, after all this film is based on your victory,"

"We'll see how realistic Hollywood made it," He rolled his eyes.

True. They overdramatize everything and often not in a good way.

"Where is Lord Conroy? Shouldn't he be here by now?"

"We're stopping by his hotel to get him because shortly after the movie he'll be returning to Texas, in fact, he'll have his bags with him,"

"Ah, of course, it is so sad to see the man leave, he is always such a joy to be around!"

"Indeed, it will be so upsetting when he finally departs our world,"

Kuto nodded and sighed. Conroy was one of the most popular figures at court despite retiring nearly four years ago. How he had managed eight years with cancer I could never possibly fathom. But we all knew that eventually, he would lose his fight.

"Your majesty! Admiral Kuto, the car has arrived!" A guard called out to us.

"Finally!"

The Admiral trailed behind me as I walked outside the palace. The bright July sun glared down, making me wince and shut my eyes until they adjusted. It was warm too, to the point where the white dress shirt and green blazer I had picked out of my wardrobe this morning didn't seem very smart. God, why are you so stupid sometimes!?

A guard opened the door and talked into his handheld radio.

"The Empress and The Admiral are entering the car,"

"Copy that, the route is currently clear, teams are making sure that the theater is secure," A voice crackled on the other end.

"Copy that,"

I climbed into the car and slid over and the Admiral took the seat on the opposite side of the vehicle. A guard took his place across from me, his rifle sitting on his lap. My eyes stared at the gun, my hands shaking as a cold sweat broke out.

"Uh... could y-you please-put that-away?" I squeaked, my voice cracking.

"I can't do that your majesty, it is for your protection," The guard replied, not even making eye contact.

Gunfire rattled through my brain as war memories flooded in. I curled up and the guard realized what was happening and silently removed the weapon from my line of sight. I quickly calmed down, not letting the trauma terrorize me. I refuse to let it control me.

The car began to roll forward and I spent the journey staring out the window, dreaming of happier times.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The car rolled to a stop outside the Loews Lincoln Square 13 theater which was only a few blocks away from the palace.

"Josephine, I am really glad you chose to step away from the palace today," Conroy said.