Ch.12 •Favorite Song•

Start from the beginning

Both Thomas and I saw Brenda run back, Teresa looked at us, "Go, Teresa, we're right behind you," I said as she responded, "hurry!"  "Thomas go I'm going after her!" I said running off. "I'm coming too!" He yelled from behind me. I was too focused on Brenda that I didn't have time to complain. "Bren what are you doing! We gotta go!" I yelled at her. As she searched through a drawer. "Brenda we gotta go!" Yelled Thomas. "I got it! I got it!" Brenda yelled holding a locket box that held a picture of her brother, George. I never met him because he was taken before Brenda met my uncle Jorge. Soldiers were right in front of us, Brenda and I quickly pulled out our guns and shot some of the men down.

While they were hiding we ran away. "Come on we're running out of time!" She yelled speed walking across the thin metal structure. "Please tell me he's not playing his "favorite song" right now," I said worried we would blow up inside the building. "Thomas hurry up you're walking too slow!" I said as I shot one of the soldiers behind me. "Brenda where are we going?!" Thomas yelled. "Hurry the song's almost over!" Brenda yelled back. "Shit. Shit! We're gonna blow!" I exclaimed walking faster as I heard the song end. I saw the pieces of metal start to spark and everything started exploding as we made it to a platform.

Thomas was staring in shock at everything falling, "Thomas come on!" I yelled pulling his arm towards where Brenda had just slid through. We both made it down the ropes and jumped into the room just in time before being crushed by rubble. We all started coughing uncontrollably, as Brenda turned on a flashlight. "you okay?" Brenda asked both Thomas and me. "Oh yeah great," Thomas answer. "Yeah we're living life in paradise," I said sarcastically in between coughs. "Oh no. No, how are we getting back to the other's," Thomas said worriedly. "Relax I'm gonna get us outta here," Brenda said handing Thomas another flashlight. "Why are you helping us?" Thomas asked as I nudge his shoulder.

"Trust me it's not my idea. Jorge seems to think you guys are our ticket to the safe haven," Brenda continued going through her backpack. "The what?!" Thomas asked confused. "You know paradise, safe from the sun," Brenda said as I completed her sentence, "free of infection," I said giving Thomas a really look. "Supposedly the Right Arm has been taking kids there for years, the immunes anyway," Brenda said now putting on her backpack looking at me and Thomas. "And you know where that is?" Thomas asked.

"No, but Jorge knows a guy, Marcus. He used to smuggle kids up into the mountains, if Jorge made it out that's where he'll be taking your friends," Brenda said throwing a crate off a sewer entrance. "If he made it out?" Thomas said with a questioned face. I rolled my eyes at his question, of course, Jorge made it out. "You know you ask a lot of questions," Brenda said as we struggle to lift the metal lid off the sewers. Thomas just shrugged not knowing what to say as I chuckled "Can you just come over here and help us with this, please." Brenda said as she looked at me still struggling with the heavy lid.

The three of us got it opened, looked inside, and heard faint screams. Crank screams to be more specific. "Well that doesn't sound good," Thomas said glancing at Brenda and me. "Yeah, down here they'll be full term. Let's go!" Brenda said jumping in the tunnel. "Don't worry too much Thomas. We'll be fine and back with the group in no time," I said patting his shoulder as he gave me a thanks. I jumped down behind Brenda with Thomas not far behind me. Brenda flashed her flashlight left and right then turned to the left, "I think it's this way," Brenda said walking down the tunnel.

"You think?" Thomas asked as I let out a laugh at his response and followed Brenda. We were walking a long distance through the tunnels, I tuned in and out of the conversations Thomas and Brenda were having. "What about Jorge? Is he your father?" I heard Thomas say from beside me. "Close enough. The truth is I don't really know what he is. He's just always been there, same with smalls parents," she said giving me a sympathetic smile. "I've always done as he's asked me to do no matter how stupid," she went on about Jorge.

"so you don't think the Right Arm's real?" Thomas asked as we all turned around looking behind us hearing more crank screams. "Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope has killed more of my friends than the flare and the scorch combined, just thought Jorge was smarter than that," Brenda said as we got to several paths in the tunnels. "Shit," I muttered as I saw all the paths. I followed Thomas since I have a gun and can protect us. Brenda also had a gun to protect herself. Oh, and I wasn't given a flashlight. Thomas and I walked towards a tunnel showing light at the end of it.

"Hey I think it might be this way," Thomas said as we both turned around to no Brenda behind us. "Brenda," both Thomas and I called out. "Over here. Look at this," Brenda said as we found ourselves in a tunnel covered in black vines all over the walls. "The hell is this?" Thomas asked. "I don't know and I don't want to find out. Can we just get out of here," I said worried we'd run into cranks. We heard a screech coming from a tunnel, a disgusting skinny rat ran out of the tunnel. Brenda kicked it as it came closer to her leg, "ugh Jesus," she said in disgust as the rat ran away.

Not long before a hand came out of the vines and we all let out a scream in fear. A full-term crank had popped out grabbing the rat and biting the rat's head off. "We have to go," I said holding both Thomas and Brenda's shoulders as we saw more cranks start to appear. Just as we turned around there was a crank coming towards us, but before I could react Thomas grabbed a metal bar from Brenda's backpack and hit the crank in front of us. "Run!" I yelled at Thomas as he stood there staring at the crank. We ran through the long tunnels reaching the exit Thomas and I had spotted before.

We made it out of the dark tunnels and out onto a cliff where the three of us almost ran off of. I groaned in tiredness "Ugh, I should've just zip-lined across when I had the chance," I said catching my breath as I looked at the slanted building we were about to climb. We ran up the slanted building with the cranks right behind Thomas. A piece of rubble almost fell on Thomas, "are you okay?!" Yelled Brenda from in front of us. Neither of us answered as I helped him get up. "Come on! Follow me," Brenda said as we followed her up the barely standing stairs. Brenda went for a handle but the handle was rusted and she fell back straight through a door sliding onto a window.

"Brenda!" Thomas and I both yelled as we looked at her laying still on the glass. Brenda started getting up slowly but the more she moved the more the glass would break. I jumped onto a structure inside the room as Thomas slid through reaching for Brenda. "Thomas hurry there's a crank coming!" I yelled as the crank fell straight onto Brenda. Brenda kicked him as I tried to shoot the crank off her but it was too risky with all the rolling around, I could accidentally shoot the glass or her. Once I saw Brenda hold onto Thomas's hands I shot the glass causing the crank to fell to its death.

••••••••••••••
Word count: 2120