36. Kendall: After

Wind. Leaves. Sky.

Kendall pulled gently on the reins as her mare approached the Moore house, falling into a slow, easy pace. She had been out riding for hours since breakfast that morning - these days, it was the only thing that made her feel better. Roaming the woods around her house, she could almost forget Logan's rejection of her, even pretend it had all just been a bad dream.

If I can avoid Hurtmore and the Shaw house, and find a way not to run into him, I might be alright -

Kendall jerked on the reins, and Sky came to an abrupt stop. Sky cocked her head as if puzzled, then stretched her nose out in front of her at the scent of someone standing by the back gate.

"Kendall," Logan said her name.

"What ... what are you doing here?"

"Waiting for you."

Kendall hid her eyes in embarrassment. She should have stayed out longer.

Logan came forward, reaching out to her. "Need a hand getting down?"

"I'm fine."

He cocked a brow at her, looking surprised.

"I've always managed just fine on my own."

"I know."

Stubbornly, she found a grip in Sky's mane, freeing her foot from the stirrup and hopping down on both feet.

Logan watched her as she led Sky over to her stall.

"There's something we need to talk about," he said behind her, and Kendall stiffened. She didn't need this. She understood perfectly well that he was not interested in her in that way. She didn't need him to say it out loud.

"No," she said curtly.

"No?"

"No, we don't need to talk about anything." She stood before Sky's stall, looking at her mare instead of him.

Logan took a few steps forward, standing by her side. Sky nudged his shoulder with her nose, and he let out a low chuckle that made Kendall's heart twist. "You know," he started. "I still owe you a tour of Hurtmore."

Kendall had to admit that she hadn't expected that. "That's alright, Logan," she said awkwardly. "It doesn't matter now."

"I'd still like for you to come over. Tomorrow would be perfect."

Why is he being so nice to me? I can't stand it!

"I really don't think - "

"I won't take no for an answer," he cut her off, smiling. "I'll see you tomorrow morning, after breakfast? Bring Sky."

Before she could respond, he turned away, making his way out of the yard and taking the walk to Hurtmore.

Kendall glanced back at Sky, who was watching her in interest - eyes keen, ears perked. "He wants us to stay friends," she said to Sky. "I guess that's a good thing."

Sky pushed her muzzle into her hair, and Kendall laughed. "Yes, I know you like him. You little flirt."

Kendall headed back into the house, wanting only to crawl into bed and hide away for the day. Hearing the sound of voices in the living room however piqued her curiosity. She trotted down the hall, finding her parents and her brother standing together in a circle. The three of them turned to stare at her, and she started to fidget. "What's going on?" she asked.

"You're back," her mother said. "You missed it."

"Missed what?"

Brandon ambled towards her, giving her a look she found impossible to read. "Is there anything you want to tell us, baby sister?"