18. Kendall: One Last Hope

"Kendall, did you hear me?"

"I heard you, Brandon," she sighed. She and her brother were standing in their backyard, watching Sky as she tottered around to exercise her legs.

"We can't let her marry him."

"I agree."

"Why do you sound so calm?"

"Would you rather have me panicking? I knew this was going to happen."

Brandon marched up to her, gesturing at Sky. "If we don't think of something soon, you're going to lose her."

"I know. I'm the one who made the bet, remember? But what is there to do? She's won, as everyone told me she would."

"She hasn't won yet."

"Oh, she will. She's Lilith Harper."

"This isn't the Kendall I know," he spoke fervently. "It's not like you to give up so easily."

"I'm tired, Brandon. This bet has been nothing but trouble. I shouldn't have put you through all this."

"I chose to help you."

"And I appreciate it, but you've done enough. I hereby relieve you of your duties."

He stiffened, staring at her. He seemed to want to say something more, but instead, turned away. Kendall lifted a brow, wondering what was wrong. She would have thought her brother would be glad.

"Kendall, Brandon!" their mother's voice sounded, and she popped up just as Brandon was about to go inside. She came over, handing something to Kendall. "Look at this. It just arrived."

"What is it?"

"Go on, read it," her mother said excitedly.

Kendall blinked, looking down at the note in her hand. Brandon had paused at the door, curiosity having gotten the better of him.

"Read it aloud, Kendall."

Kendall cleared her throat in preparation. "The house of Hurtmore invites you to a housewarming ball tomorrow evening."

"Exciting, isn't it?"

Kendall lowered her eyes to the bottom of the note, reading the sign-off. "From the house of Lord M."

Brandon raised a brow. "Lord M?"

"I'm as lost as you are."

Their mother grinned, snatching the invitation back and reading the scant words again. "Lord M. At last, we have a chance to meet our new neighbor. And you would have noticed, I'm sure, that there is no mention of a Mrs. M or a family. He must be single. Single, wealthy, and he owns your dream home, Kendall."

Kendall did a snort, turning away and putting the lead on Sky to bring her back to her stall. "Take my word for it, Mother. He's sure to be as pretentious as the Harpers or the Blacks."

"The Blacks?" she repeated, frowning. "What about Tyler Black? I thought he was a friend of yours."

Kendall stopped, staring at her mother. She could see Brandon's stony expression from where he stood behind their mother. "No," she said, a bit quietly. "I was wrong about him."

"Then perhaps you might be wrong about this Lord M as well. He has been generous enough to invite us to this ball."

"It's just a courtesy. Besides, these functions are meant to satisfy their vanity more than anything else. The more guests there are, the better they feel about themselves."