2. Kendall: A Hero Returns

Nauseating.

Kendall stood beside her parents, watching as her older brother, Brandon, paraded through the streets of Coser on his chestnut horse, Apollo. Neighbors and passers-by stopped to watch and wave, and he rewarded them with a dazzling smile.

"Brandon's back!" people everywhere called, the announcement spreading like wildfire. It had been four years since her brother had left to join the guard and find honor and glory. Somehow, he had gone from being a nobody to beating out knights and warriors in big city tournaments. A rising star, everyone said of him. From what Kendall could see, it seemed that the attention had gone to his head

Next door, Lindsay Bridges scuttled out to have a look. She was older than Kendall, married since last year. Her husband traveled often, so she often liked to pass her time by coming over to the Moores'. "Your brother's gotten even more handsome," she commented, with a smirk. 

"Don't let him hear you say that."

Lindsay cocked her pale head, giving a wistful sigh. "If only circumstances had been different ... perhaps I might have been your sister-in-law."

"You always say that, but you know you don't mean it."

"He wouldn't be around anymore than Parker, so what would it matter?" She sighed, shaking her head. "Four years, and your brother's still not married."

"I don't know what he's waiting for."

"I think your brother's more interested in winning tournaments than winning a wife. A real shame." They watched as Brandon dismounted, who was seized in an embrace by his mother even before his feet had properly touched the ground. She planted a kiss on her son's cheek, clinging to him as if afraid to let him go. Brandon blushed but allowed the gesture of affection.

A group of young girls appeared with outstretched hands, eager to touch Coser's golden boy.

'Welcome back, Brandon!'

'We heard all about your victory!'

'You must have so much to tell!'

"Ladies, please," he piped up, raising his hands. "There'll be time for all that later. For now, family comes first. Forgive me."

A collective sigh of disappointment went up, his admirers looking forlorn.

"Please excuse us," Brandon said, draping an arm over his mother's shoulders and leading the way inside.

Kendall nodded up the walk. "Are you coming, Lindsay?"

"I wouldn't want to intrude."

"Oh, come now. You know we don't mind." She paused, glancing over the crowd of heartsick neighborhood girls still standing around. "Sorry, girls," she told them. "That's my brother for you."

"We understand," Rosemary Beck responded. "He cares about his family." 

"Well, he's - "

"A dutiful son. And no doubt he would be a dutiful husband and father too."

"Exactly!" another girl agreed, and they began nodding their heads together like chickens. Or turkeys?

"No, he just doesn't care," Kendall tried to discourage them, but it was no use. They were too caught up in buzzing amongst themselves to listen to her.

Kendall shook her head, starting to turn away, but just then, Rosemary reached out and gripped her wrist. "Please tell your brother that we are so happy to have him back and that we are thinking of him."

Kendall could hear Lindsay struggling to hold in a laugh next to her. "Right, I'll be sure to do that."

"Promise?" she asked hopefully.