27. Lilith: Love Cuts Deep

"My dear, you look so pale."

Lilith smiled faintly in response to her aunt Mara's comment. "I suppose I have been feeling tired lately."

"Are you sure you're alright? I hope you're not falling ill."

"No, I'm sure it's nothing."

Her aunt Mara hugged her, and for a moment, she found comfort in it, imagining that it was her mother's arms around her. But then her aunt pulled away and she remembered that her mother was dead and gone.

"I've been hoping you would come by," her aunt Mara said. "There's so much I've been wanting to ask you. Is it true?"

"Is what true?"

"About Tyler Black and Kendall Moore?"

"Well, they were due to be married, but he's in the country right now, meaning he'll be out of our hair for a while."

"You sound glad that he's gone."

"I am. And I feel sorry for Kendall."

"She seems to be taking it well. The last time I saw her, she was in high spirits. That was at her father's new shop. Have you seen it yet?"

Lilith nodded stiffly. "Yes, I saw it on my way over."

"Lovely, isn't it?"

Lilith shrugged.

Her aunt Mara paused, eyeing her. "I happened to see her brother as well."

Lilith couldn't help raising her head.

Aunt Mara continued, "And all his girls."

Something flared inside Lilith - a mixture of anger and insulted horror. Already, he was falling back on his admirers? "So what? He can do whatever he wants."

"Oh, you sound a little upset."

"I am not." But she looked away as she said it, and her hands shook at the memory of his kiss. Kisses. More than once. What had he done to her? She felt like she was slowly losing her self-control.

"What happened between you two? I thought you liked each other?"

"It was nothing, Aunt."

She stood by her story, even as her aunt tried to press her. She couldn't stop thinking about him though, and left her aunt Mara's house in a daze. It was growing dark as she headed home. The town was growing sleepy as shops were shuttered and stalls bundled up. She passed the Moores' new shop, and thought to herself that she honestly did wish the family well. It was exhausting, keeping up this feud with the Moores, and really, what good had it done her? Or anyone?

She plodded on, and was almost to her gate when she heard a voice behind her. She paused, twisting her head aside. Up came Kendall in a run, her hair windswept, her face white with panic. "Lilith! I'm glad I caught you. I-I didn't know who else to go to."

"Slow down, Kendall," Lilith urged, raising her hands in a motion to calm her. "What is it? What's got you in such a state?"

"Please, you have to come with me. I think my brother and Logan - they .... "

"What?" she asked, a bit impatiently.

"I think they've arranged some kind of duel between themselves. Brandon went out somewhere with his sword, and Logan isn't at his parents'. They must be meeting at Hurtmore. I'm afraid they're going to hurt each other."

Lilith was stunned. "They wouldn't."

"Lilith, they're going to fight because of us! Because of that stupid bet we made! We can't let them do this. We have to stop them."