9. Lilith: Too Close For Comfort

Lilith sat on the edge of her bed, alone in her room. She had changed out of the wine-stained dress, trading it for a gown in a darker shade of blue. Should there be any more accidents, at least they would not be so embarrassingly obvious on this dress.

An accident. Was that all it had been? Whatever the case, she was actually glad it had happened. It felt good to have an excuse to escape the party if only for a little while. She had been on her feet the whole day, instructing the servants and helping with the decorations and preparations. Even her father had made a comment about her possibly overexerting herself. She just wanted the night to be a success. At this moment, she found herself caring about that more than securing a husband.

She drew in a long, languid breath through her nose, letting it fill her and drive the tension out of her limbs. She felt better. She felt calmer. The event was well underway and so far, the only tragedy has been spilled wine. Not too bad, all things considered.

She thought about all the people downstairs, knowing that she could not stay up here for very long. A good host did not hide away. Soon, everyone would be wondering what had happened to her. She rose to her feet, checking her reflection in the mirror. The servants had braided her long hair with white ribbons, and the dark blue dress set off her eyes. She looked elegant and composed, and felt that she would have done her mother proud.

She crossed the floor, pulling open the door and stepping into the hallway. And ... found herself facing, of all people, Brandon Moore. He was leaning next to the stairs, hands gripping the rail behind him. He was one of the few men in Coser who was taller than her, and she couldn't help noticing that his frame had hardened with muscle during his time away.

Lilith drew her bedroom door shut behind her, but did not move from her spot. "Brandon, how did you get up here?" She had servants planted all over the house to prevent this sort of thing. How had he dodged them and found his way up here? "Are you lost?"

"No." He stretched a gaze over her, and a prickle ran up the back of her neck.

"You shouldn't be up here."

"I like it here. It's quiet."

"It's off-limits."

"I saw what happened," he changed the subject, nodding at the new outfit. "I think I like this dress better."

"Well, I didn't ask for your opinion." She started towards the stairs, but he shifted, blocking the way before she could pass. "What are you doing?"

"I'm not ready to let you go yet."

She pulled back, giving him a scrutinizing look. "Unbelievable. Kendall put you up to this, didn't she? That girl will stop at nothing."

He shrugged. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"I think you do. Now, please, move aside, Brandon. I have guests."

"I'm your guest too. Entertain me."

She swallowed, feeling the rising heat of a blush. "Don't think I don't know what you're trying to do."

"What am I trying to do?"

"Distract me. Throw me off. It won't work. You're wasting your time. " She tried to weave around him, but he shot out an arm, cutting her off. She halted just in front of him, lips pursing in frustration. Don't back down, Lilith. Don't let him rattle you.

"Be honest, Lilith. Haven't you ever wondered what it would be like to be with a hero?"

"I don't need a hero."

He paused, his eyes flicking over her face as he mulled. "Tell you what. I'll let you go if you give me something."

"What?"