35. Lilith: Just Married

"Good morning."

Lilith squinted at Olivia, noting her friend's raised eyebrow and cheeky smile. She had not been prepared for this – this blush-inducing horror of facing people on the morning after her wedding night. "Good morning," Lilith mumbled.

"Sleep well?"

"Yes," Lilith said quickly, moving towards the stairs. Olivia followed, walking with her.

Lilith wished there had been somewhere else she and Brandon could have stayed for the few days before they were due to start their trip, but the Harpers' manor had been the logical choice. It was not short of rooms or facilities, but that came along with the whispers and giggles of everyone in the house – except for her father of course, who was still struggling with being accommodating.

"So where is your new husband?" Olivia asked her.

"Still asleep."

"All tired out?"

Lilith stared at her, mortified. "Stop."

"I'm sorry," Olivia went, laughing.

"You are so obviously not sorry."

"You are right. I am not. I couldn't help myself. Still can’t."

"I expect this from someone like Kendall, but not you."

"Oh, Lilith, come on. I'm just teasing you a little."

"A little??"

"In a few days, I will no longer have the chance. Surely, you can allow me this?"

Lilith sighed, shaking her head.

"I am going to miss you. You're the only one I can really talk to around here."

"I feel the same way."

A smile stretched over Olivia's lips. "But now you have Brandon."

"I wish you could come with us."

"No, I'm not one for traveling, and besides, this is your trip. Your adventure."

"I've never been out of Coser before. I'm feeling so many things at once – nervous, scared, sad, excited, worried – "

"You'll be fine. I know you're going to enjoy yourself and have many wonderful moments with your new husband."

"I'll write often, although we'll probably be moving around so much, it be hard for you to write back."

"That's alright. It'll be like a book, where you send me one chapter after another until you return."

"I like that idea."

They reached the lower floor, going through the entryway to the dining room. Everyone else was there, each caught up in their own discussion, but Regina stopped to greet them. "Good morning, girls."

"Good morning," they chorused.

Lilith started to sit, but Olivia nudged her. "No, sit here, that way, I can sit on one side and Brandon can sit on your other side."

"Uh, alright," she went, taking the designated chair. She looked across at her father, who was drinking coffee and inspecting the day's mail. "Good morning, Father."

He raised his head, nodding wordlessly at her. At the other end of the table, Uncle Rory did a chuckle. "Your father's in a chatty mood today."

"Don't start, Rory," her father responded.

"A master conversationalist indeed."

Lilith and Olivia started helping themselves to food, and were just digging in when they heard footsteps descending. Brandon appeared, freshly bathed and nicely dressed, and all the women in the room – even the twins – sat a bit straighter, smiled a bit wider.