11. Lilith: Tug-Of-War

"Did you know that Logan Shaw is in Coser?" Lilith heard her father asking.

It was after lunch, and she had been sitting alone in the parlor when he came in with the old news. She was glad that her father had not seen Logan for himself the night of the dance. She didn't know just what would have happened, but it would have surely ruined the entire night. "Oh, really?" she replied to humor him.

"Apparently, he's come into a bit of money and thinks he's become a new man." Her father did a pitying chuckle. "He doesn't realize that no amount of wealth will change who he is."

Lilith stared at the pages of her book, not saying anything.

"You don't think he's planning to ... you know?"

"What?"

"Come here and make a second attempt?"

"I doubt so."

"Because it would be pointless. He's still the same man who walked in here years ago, just with nicer clothes."

"Father, I'm quite sure he's forgotten all about me."

"Why is he in Coser then?"

"I don't know."

He eyed her for a moment, his gaze slowly making her more and more uncomfortable. He had more to say, that much she could sense. He drew in a breath, speaking up, "I don't have to tell you how foolish it would be to entertain any kind of contact with the man, do I?"

"Of course not."

"You are old enough to judge for yourself."

She turned to show a well-practised smile. "I certainly agree with that."

"You have an example to set, Lilith, especially for your younger sisters. You are a Harper, and a Harper must marry those fit for the duties and expectations that come with the name."

"But isn't it true that once I marry, I will no longer be a Harper?"

He blinked at her for a moment.

"I would of course take the name of my husband."

"I know that," he answered, with a bit of an edge. "Would that your dear mother had given me sons to carry on the name."

Her fake smile faded, leaving her tight-lipped. He had actually said that out loud? How dare he blame her when she was dead? She willed herself to keep her mouth shut rather than risk a quarrel.

"But hope is not lost. It is still not too late for a man like myself."

"What?" she went, and it took her a minute to understand. For him to have sons, he would have to ... remarry. And she knew all too well who her father had in mind. The idea filled her with loathing. Regina Black was a woman as vain and shallow as she had ever met. She was the one who had no grasp of 'love'. Lilith's father was nothing but a name and money to her, but it didn't seem as if he realized or cared. She opened her mouth to speak, but was interrupted.

"Ah, Mr. Harper," a third voice piped up, and who was it but Regina herself standing in the doorway. As usual, she was perfectly coiffed, with no shortage of jewels on her skin so that one couldn't help but look at her. "I was wondering if you would walk with me? I wanted to go down to the lake and maybe take a walk around the gardens."

"Certainly. It'd be my pleasure." He got up, forgetting all about Lilith. She watched as Regina took her father's arm, that one very simple gesture starting a fire inside her. She turned away, unable to ignore the sound of their voices echoing down the hall. Shortly after they had left, someone else darted into the room, giving her a start. It was Tyler, and for some reason, he had anxiously pressed himself up against the wall.