16. Kendall: Lesson Learned

Kendall felt Logan's arm leave her as soon as they left the Harper house. Her poorly-hidden elation switched to disappointment, then confusion as she watched Logan catch up to her brother. The moment had ended as quickly as it had begun, barely long enough for her to enjoy.

She frowned, telling herself that it had to have meant nothing. Besides, she had bigger things to worry about at the moment, like the fight that had almost taken place and their narrow escape before Mr. Harper had appeared to bark at them all.

Kendall lagged behind her brother and Logan, feeling unsure what to do with herself. Brandon seemed to have calmed down, and he and Logan were talking in hushed tones, no doubt about what had just happened.

Kendall's blood still raced at the memory, from Tyler's pathetic cowering to Lilith's standing up to Brandon (Kendall hadn't known the girl had it in her). She replayed everything in her mind, still unable to believe that her own actions had actually led up to this mess. She'd really done it this time. Way to go, Kendall. The worst part was there was no going back, no reversing things. She could not quit the bet or erase the rumors Tyler had started. Somehow, she was just going to have live with the consequences, whatever they may be.

As the Moore home came into sight, she quickened her pace, lining up with the two men. "Brandon?"

"Kendall," her brother said in a strange voice. "I don't think I can speak to you right now."

"Oh," she mumbled, hurt.

Logan took a look at her, nodding towards the house. "Why don't you go on inside, Kendall? It's very late."

"What about ... ?"

"Your brother will be in soon."

Kendall glanced worriedly at Brandon, then nodded. "Alright."

Feeling very small, she headed inside, where she got an earful from her mother for staying out so late. At some point during the tirade, her mother mentioned Brandon, and Kendall explained that he was right outside and would be in at any moment.

"What's he doing out there?" her mother wanted to know.

"He's just talking to Logan."

"I checked outside a few minutes ago, and you and your brother were nowhere to be found. What were the two of you up to?"

If you only knew. "Nothing," she said weakly.

"Go to bed. No supper for you, since you obviously don't care to come home for it."

Kendall knew to keep her mouth shut, scuttling off into her room. After she had gotten changed, she sat on the edge of her bed in the dark, gripping the bed frame. She was determined not to cry, but it was not proving easy. A few rebellious tears emerged at the corners of her eyes, and she wiped at them with the sleeve of her nightdress. She decided she might as well try to get some sleep. Hopefully, things would look better in the morning.

Oddly enough, waking up the next day, Kendall could almost believe that it had all just been a bad dream. She felt better as she got ready for the day and sat down to breakfast, and even Brandon seemed more like his old self. He didn't say much to her while eating, but asked to walk with her as she was headed to the square with the suitcase of Father's trinkets.

"Of course," she answered happily.

They walked out together, greeted by a bright summer morning. Kendall's gaze traveled down the lane in the direction of the Shaw house before she forced herself to look away.

"Kendall," her brother started, and she wondered if he was going to scold her somemore. She was getting so used to being lectured these days. "I want to apologize for my behavior last night."

"You don't have to apologize, Brandon."

"Yes, I do. I had time to think about things last night, and I realize that I was being rash. I could have gotten all of us into trouble."

She smiled faintly, knowing it was true.

"And I want you to know that I believe you, and that I intend to do everything I can to stub out these nasty rumors."

"How?"

"With persuasion and some well-placed ...," he paused, cracking his knuckles. " ... words."

"Please don't go starting any fights, Brandon."

"I don't intend to, but I will if I must. This is too important, Kendall. This is your reputation."

"Well, I deserve it."

"No, you don't. Don't you see? We're not to blame. Tyler is. But we can't do anything about it because he's sitting safe and protected up in that house. Damn him."

"For what it's worth, you were quite intimidating last night."

"Thank you. I do believe I have it down to an art."

"Uh huh. For a moment, I almost thought you were going to hurt Lilith Harper."

"Of course not," his voice became quiet. "I would never do such a thing."

"I know you can't stand her any more than I can."

"Right," he replied, mumbling it.

"Anyway, I'm alright, Brandon, really. Rumors have a way of dying down and eventually being forgotten."

They came to the square, and Kendall set down her suitcase on her usual bench. Normally, no one paid her any attention when she got herself set up, but with Brandon at her side, girls began drawing near as if magnetized.

"Hello, Brandon," someone greeted, and it was Rosemary Beck. She had practically sighed the words, and had a sickeningly coy smile on her face.

"Good morning," he responded with a winning smile. That simple upturn of his mouth worked wonders. Before she knew it, Kendall and her brother were swarmed by women. Kendall sat down on the bench, watching as girls began asking questions ranging from what Brandon's plans were for the day to when he thought his next tournament would be.

"One day, I must show you all my latest trophy," he suggested, causing a stir. Not because anyone really cared to see some gold cup, but because it suggested a visit into their home, into his bedroom.

Kendall watched as the girls squealed and jiggled, fanning themselves with delight. "Dear God, why don't you just pick one of them already?" she said under her breath.

Brandon turned towards her. "Did you say something, Kendall?"

She cleared her throat. "Yes, I was just saying that I think you should let them know what you think of these lovely items." She gestured at her display, and her brother caught on.

"Ah, girls, do you think you could help us out? We're trying to help our father with his business, and it would so mean much to us if you could each take a piece. I'm sure you girls would wear them beautifully." He briefly touched Rosemary's chin as he said this, and the first row of girls descended upon Kendall like hawks.

There was a stream of 'Which one should I get, Brandon?' and 'Does this suit me, Brandon?' and 'How about this color, Brandon?'.

After Kendall had tended to every one of them, she felt sure over an hour had  passed. She could feel the start of the afternoon heat as she watched the girls trying out their buys and admiring each other. Her father would be very pleased. She wished she had thought to bring Brandon with her sooner. She could even wrap up for the day; they had done so well. She leaned back, smirking to herself as she watched these girls preen before Brandon. Why had she ever tried to be like these girls?

For the sake of the bet, remember?

Her smirk faded at that. Of course. The bet. She had yet to plan her next course of action. Brandon's focus on Lilith was all well and good, but it wouldn't last forever. With Tyler's true colors revealed, she was now back to square one.