7. Lilith: Houseguests

The night before the dance, Richard Harper brought home a surprise. Not gifts, which would have been nice, but a trio of guests. They were not any of his associates either, but consisted of an elegant older woman and her grown-up son and daughter.

"Lilith," her father introduced, his gaze intent. "This is Regina Black from Litrio. Regina, my eldest daughter, Lilith."

"Please to meet you," Lilith greeted, as the twins came rushing up.

"Sorry, Father," Emma gushed, tucking her hair behind her ears in an effort to look presentable. Viola didn't really bother, and Lilith did her best to pat down the girl's flyaway locks.

"And the twins," Regina Black guessed. She was quite a sight, with her pale hair woven into ringlets, stones on her ears and neck, and a slender figure dressed in vivid shades of scarlet. Yet, looking closer, it all seemed an attempt to add glamor to features that were really quite plain. "Which one of you is Viola and which one is Emma?"

"Guess," Viola couldn't help herself, grinning.

"That would be Viola," their father stated, a little sternly. At least he'd gotten it right this time.

Viola smiled sheepishly.

Regina Black twisted slightly, gesturing at the pair behind her. "This is my son, Tyler, and my daughter, Olivia."

"They will be guests in this house and you are to make them feel welcome," their father made clear.

Lilith looked between the brother and sister. Olivia was a near-replica of her mother, sharing her pale skin, brown eyes and overly angular face. Tyler, on the other hand, seemed to take after a father of good looks and striking blue eyes. Pretty boy, the words popped into Lilith's head. Not usually her type, but she did approve of his appearance - tailored suit, hair neat and not too long, shoes spotless.

"A pleasure," Olivia said simply, doing a curtsy before the girls.

Beside her, Tyler did a chuckle over the twins. "I'll have to tell you now that I am probably going to mix the two of you up very often, so apologies in advance."

"It's alright," Emma said warmly. "We forgive you."

He smiled as he shook their hands, then came to stand in front of Lilith. He thumbed the fringe of his dirty blonde hair for a moment, studying her. "Lilith," he said her name, and that was all, just her name in a soft, husky tone. He held his palm out to her. She glanced at her father, then rested her hand in Tyler's. He raised her hand, pressing full, cool lips to the back. She noticed that he lingered them a moment too long.

"Come, let me show you around the house," her father offered, leading Regina away. Olivia followed, but Tyler lingered a moment.

"I'll speak to you girls later, I hope?" His gaze danced in her direction as he ended the question.

Lilith didn't respond, but her sisters nodded. They watched as the group took off down the hall, her father personally talking about the furnishings and the capacity of the main hall and how the guest rooms overlooked the lake. This was so unlike him, to actually welcome guests to stay, guests she had never even met before. She was acquainted with most of his friends and partners but she'd never heard of this Black family.

"I like him," Emma piped up, drawing her attention.

"What?"

"Tyler. I like him."

"Oh. Yes, he seems nice."

"They're going to be staying here?" Viola asked.

"Apparently," she said, still puzzled. "It's so strange. I thought Father hated sharing the house with people."