6. Kendall: A Helping Hand

Kendall stood in the backyard, rubbing down Sky while nearby, Logan's clothes from the other day fluttered with the rest of the washing. It was just a shirt and pants but she couldn't seem to take her eyes off them. She finished up with Sky, crossing the yard and standing for a moment by the clothesline. She reached out, grasping a sleeve of Logan's shirt and taking a tentative whiff. She could smell soap and sun on the fabric, but something else too. Him.

"Hello!" her brother's voice called and she stepped away quickly. Why did she feel like she had almost been caught red-handed? She cleared her throat and put on a calm face as Brandon appeared.

"Finished entertaining your admirers?" she couldn't resist taking a jab at him.

"I think I did enough to tide them over. Your friends Grace and Rae were there too."

"Shame on them."

"They have good taste."

"Ugh."

She studied her brother, taking in the handsome profile and brown eyes fringed by lashes even longer than her own. An idea began piecing together in her mind, but was it possible? "Brandon, how long do you think you're going to be in Coser?"

"I don't know. Why?"

"I think I may need your help."

"Why? What have you done?"

She frowned at him. "You immediately assume I got myself into trouble."

"Because you're always getting into trouble."

"It's not like that. You see, I ... made a bet with Lilith Harper."

"What sort of bet?"

"We're betting to see which one of us is going to be married first."

She saw the edge of his mouth curl up in amusement. "Oh. Is that it?"

"Yes. What were you expecting?"

"I don't know, but not that. I didn't think you were even interested to marry."

"Of course I am. Someday. I just have to make someday come a lot sooner or we risk losing Sky."

"Sky?" his voice climbed to a shriek. "You made Sky part of your bet to Lilith Harper? What you were thinking?"

"I was thinking 'this could be the only way to take care of the debt we owe her father'."

At her words, the shock on her brother's face softened somewhat. "Debt? We owe the Harpers money?"

"Yes," she said, shooting him a look that said, Now, do you understand?

"How much?"

"I don't know, but no small amount for sure. The only reason I even know about it is because I overheard Mother and Father talking about it. Do you think they would actually tell me such things?"

"Are you sure about this? Maybe you misheard."

"It's no mistake. Lilith confirmed it herself, so it's true."

"They never said anything to me."

"Of course not. Why would they? They didn't want to ruin your happiness while you were out being a hero."

"Hey, that's not fair. I didn't know things were that bad."

"Father won't admit it, but the business hasn't been doing well. Plus, with his leg, he hasn't gone out to get anything new in months. It's just the same old stock."

"Look, why not we go and talk to them and see if we can work something out?"

"No. We're not even supposed to know about this."

"So we just pretend like nothing's wrong?"

"No, that's why I'm doing something about it."

"By making a bet with Lilith Harper??"

"Yes."

"Women," he sighed. "The nonsense you come up with."

"Look, you can either do nothing and let her win Sky, or you can help me win and make this debt disappear."

"How am I supposed to help you? Do you think I have prospective husbands sitting in my pocket?"

"You can help me by taking care of Lilith. Make sure no man has a chance to get close to her."

"And how do you propose I do that?"

"Get her to place her hopes on you and only you."

"Are you saying you want me to woo her?"

"It's just pretend. Make-believe. Treat it like a game."

"But it's not a game. These are people's feelings we're talking about."

"Lilith Harper? Feelings?"

He pursed his lips for a minute. "Alright, I see your point. But I still don't like this."

"It's for the family, Brandon. The reason I'm asking you for help is because Logan is in town."

"So?"

"So I'm afraid he's going to try and renew his marriage offer to her."

Her brother made a doubtful expression. "You think he has a chance? It seemed like a bad falling out."

"We can't risk it. I know he's your best friend, but he could ruin everything."

"Fine. But I have to tell you I am not confident about this."

"Don’t be silly. Just do what you do best and use your hero charms to make her fall madly in love with you."

"What about you? This bet isn't over until one of you is married, right?"

"Right."

"So what do you plan to do?"

"I was afraid you'd ask."

"Well? What plan do you have up your sleeve for this one?"

"It's silly, but do you remember Miss Lumley?"

"Your old etiquette teacher?"

"I'm going to ask her for help. See, the Harpers have invited us to a dance, which means plenty of men are going to be there. I just need to impress one of them. But I need you to buy me time - as much as possible. Keep the men away from Lilith, keep her focused on you. It's our only chance."

"You're really serious about this, aren't you?"

"All the way. I need to know I can count on you, Brandon."

"Of course you can, baby sister. Don't worry, she won't win. Like you said, this is what I do best."