17. Lilith: A Match Made In Hell

"Miss Lilith, your father wishes to speak with you."

Lilith paused in the foyer, facing the servant. She had just been on her way out, but she knew very well that there was no putting off anything with her father. She drew a worried breath, wondering if this could have anything to do with the incident last night.

"Thank you," she told the servant, moving to head upstairs to find her father in his study.

"Ah, no miss. He's in the parlor."

The parlor? A bit puzzled, Lilith changed course, heading down the hall. She had not gone two steps inside when she came to a stop. "Oh."

Her father was there alright, but he was not alone. Regina was seated next to him, and ... Tyler was there, in a chair nearby. Tyler glanced up at her, but didn't speak.

Lilith found herself swallowing stiffly. Could Tyler have been petty enough to spill the truth after all?

"Have a seat, Lilith," Regina told her.

"You look all dressed up," her father commented as Lilith placed herself in the only free chair - an uncomfortable one with a hard wooden back.

"I was just ... about to go for a walk."

"We wanted to speak to you and Tyler about something. Something important."

Lilith took her father in a careful gaze. His face was serious, but he didn't sound angry or upset. Perhaps that was a good sign. "Of course," she replied obediently, resting her hands in her lap.

"As you know, the wedding preparations are well underway."

"The invitations go out today in fact," Regina added, with a half-moon smile.

"In a matter of weeks, we will be man and wife. Our families will be joined."

Lilith nodded, not really sure where this was going.

"On that note, we think it would be in your best interest if the two of you were to follow our example and form an alliance."

Lilith did a jolt of her head. The cheap Moore earrings on her earlobes dangled wildly from the movement. "What?"

"It is our dearest wish. There is no wedding gift in the world that would make us happier."

Lilith got to her feet, waving her hands in protest. "Wait a minute. Isn't this a little sudden?"

"Is it?" Regina asked, looking between them. "We were under the impression that you two were becoming fond of each other."

Before Lilith could deny it, Tyler spoke first. "You're mistaken, Mother."

Lilith turned, a little surprised. "Really?" she couldn't help blurting.

"Well, yes. You're not offended, are you?"

Actually, Lilith was insulted, not because she actually liked him, but because this confirmed that he had never been serious about her, just as he had never been serious about Kendall. Women were just playthings to this man - correction, to this boy.

Lilith maintained an icy stare as she answered, "Not at all."

"This would be a very good thing for both our families," his mother put in. "I'm sure you both can see that."

"Isn't that the purpose of your marriage?" Tyler was defiant. "I do not see any need for further entanglements."

"Entanglements?" Lilith's father repeated. "Is that what you call marrying my daughter?"