5. Lilith: First Glimpses

Lilith stood with her twin sisters on the porch of their home, waving as their father's carriage pulled away. He was going on another one of his business trips, although he'd said he would be back in time for the dance she was planning. She still had so much to do - invitations, flowers, the menu and the list went on. She watched the gates draw back to let the carriage pass, thinking that with her father away, she would have one less thing to stress about. Yet, she had to admit that he had been quite agreeable these past few days.

As the carriage disappeared past the turn, she released a good kind of sigh, looking down at her sisters. With their light brown hair and blue eyes, they were fresh-faced reflections of each other. Only Lilith and her mother always knew how to tell them apart. Even their father was sometimes fooled, probably because he did not spend enough time with them. It was sad, Lilith thought, to not know your own children.

"Now, we can do anything we want," Viola piped up.

"Best behavior, girls."

"Can we at least go and see Aunt Mara?" Emma asked.

Lilith turned away, pretending to mull it over. "Perhaps, if you two are very good."

"You know we will be!" Viola cried, clutching her arm. "Come on, let's go. We know you want to go too."

"Alright, alright! Let's go get our coats."

A short while later, the afternoon found the three girls hopping out of a carriage outside their aunt's house on the other side of Coser. The twins were so eager and excited, they ran ahead, their voices bringing out a bevy of cousins, servants and hounds.

"Lilith," a familiar voice sounded over the noise, and warm arms surrounded her. A kiss landed on her cheek, and Aunt Mara held her at arms' length. "Every time I see you, you grow more and more stunning."

"Father left a while ago. He should be gone for a week."

"Well, come on in then. Who would want to be alone in that big old house all by themselves?"

Father probably. No one to disturb him.

Aunt Mara ushered them inside, where the children scattered to amuse themselves as they always did. "Girls, make sure you keep your dresses clean this time!" Lilith called after her sisters.

"Oh, leave them, dear," her mother's sister chided her gently.

"They get carried away sometimes."

"Of course they're do. They're children." Aunt Mara pulled her down, the two of them sitting together on Lilith's favorite sofa. It was not as large or plush as the ones at home, but she loved how they sank right into its cushions, like it was giving them a big, welcoming hug. "You know, sometimes it amazes that you were ever a child yourself," Aunt Mara told her.

"It didn't last long."

"I know. You were always so quiet and solemn. Still are."

"I'm not like Mother. I'm not good at talking to people."

"Well, as long as you can talk to the people that matter, that's what counts." She patted her niece's hand, and Lilith gave her a smile. "So tell me. Any news over at the big house?"

"There's going to be a dance next week. I'm organizing everything."

Aunt Mara pulled back in surprise. "Really? Your father allowed it?"

"Yes. He's been in a good mood lately."

"Well, that's something, although I wonder how long it will last."