14. Kendall: Secrets and Rumors

Just a peek. That was all Kendall wanted. She stood in the trees that crowded around the Hurtmore house, looking over its proud walls and rows of windows. She saw ghost-like servants behind the windows, drifting about as they tended to their work, but she still did not have a clue who owned this place. She stepped out from the woods, creeping forward to get a better look and leaving Sky tethered safely behind her. Just a peek, and then she would go.

She crossed the grass, making it halfway to the house. So far, so good. The gardens sprawled before her on the other side of the fence, teeming with color and seeming to invite her in. She kept putting one foot in front of the other, then halted when she heard a low cry from her mare.

She whirled, and was surprised to see Logan's father standing there. He was smiling and saying something to Sky as if addressing an old friend.

Quickly, Kendall doubled back. "Mr. Shaw, what are you doing here?"

He turned, a light, cheery smile breaking upon his thin face. "Hello. I don't believe we've met?"

Alright, now she was even more confused. "Mr. Shaw, it's me. Kendall. Kendall Moore."

He shrugged, like the name meant nothing to him. Something strange was going on here, she thought, watching as he reached out and patted Sky's neck. "This is a beautiful horse."

"Thank you."

"How do you think she got here?"

"She belongs to me, Mr. Shaw," she said slowly. He knew this. Everyone in Coser knew this.

One of his brows perked up. "You, a woman?"

She bristled. "Yes, as a matter of fact."

"That's not very proper."

"Mr. Shaw, what are you doing out here?"

"I wanted to take a walk."

"But you're supposed to be ... ill." She took a moment to study him more carefully. He looked as strong and healthy as ever to her - there was color in his cheeks and his hazel eyes shone brightly. It was the fact that he didn't seem to remember her or Sky that worried her. She untied Sky, taking Mr. Shaw's hand. "I think I'd better walk you home."

"Well, that's not right. It should be the man walking the woman home."

"Well, good thing we live on the same street then."

He scrunched up his brow, and she guessed he didn't remember this either. Unbelievable. This explained why Mrs. Shaw had been guarding the family's privacy so fiercely, to the point of refusing to let Kendall into the house. Kendall thought of Logan, and her heart went out to him. To watch one's father lose his memories and not be able to do anything about it − she couldn't imagine what that must be like.

"Mr. Shaw, does your wife know you went for a walk?" she asked him.

He shook his head. "She watches everything I do. I'm tired of it."

"I'm sure she means well. What about Logan? Do you know if he's home?"

He thought for a moment. "I was looking for him."

"So he's not home?"

"I don't think so." He smiled at Kendall. "He's a good boy, you know."

"I know," she said quietly. It was a shame that he liked girls like Lilith Harper instead of her. It was a shame that he would never see Kendall as anything but his best friend's little sister.

"I just wish he would hurry up and get married. Then maybe he would stop worrying so much about me."

Kendall pursed her lips, not wanting to hear anymore. They were coming up alongside her house now, and she let go of his arm. "Wait here a moment. I'm going to put Sky in her stall."