10. Kendall: Friendships Old and New

It was hot. Spring was saying goodbye and letting summer in the door, much to Kendall's chagrin. Today, she was planted on a bench under a tree in the town square, the busiest spot in Coser with its spread of shops, boarding houses and restaurants. Visitors did their shopping here, strolling by with their umbrellas and peeping in at windows. Merchants greeted the women and brought out their wares, friends ran into each other and struck up conversations ... and Kendall sat here on a bench, with a suitcase of trinkets no one wanted to buy.

She should have been over at Miss Lumley's, balancing a book on her head or getting her fingers rapped again for bad piano-playing. Instead, she was here on her father's orders, trying to help sell some of his wares, but more importantly to create a buzz so people would know where to find his shop. Except that people didn't want to go to his shop. People didn't want to look at a mishmash of outdated ornaments and accessories.

She took in a breath, getting to her feet as a woman walked past. "Miss, would you be interested in - "

The woman veered away from her as if she had the plague.

"Well, fine then," Kendall muttered.

She tried approaching the next woman, and heard her blurt out, "Oh no."

"Miss, spare a minute, would you to - "

"Sorry, I don't have a minute," she said curtly, picking up her pace and moving away with impressive speed.

Kendall drooped on the sidewalk, returning to the comfort of the shady bench. So far today, she had only sold a hairpin for three coppers and that had been to Lindsay. She groaned, looking forlornly at each and every person out that afternoon. So many people. So many people were in town because of the Harpers' dance the other night, and not one wanted to give her the time of day. She thought about how her father had spoken to the family the day after the dance, saying that they needed to start tightening their belts. She was glad that he was finally taking their finances seriously, but this?

I have to win this bet and get it over with, before Father comes up with more wild ideas. I don't think I can take much more of this.

Unfortunately, things were about to get worse. By the time she realized that Lilith Harper and Olivia Black were headed her way, it was too late to latch up her suitcase and beat a hasty retreat.

"Well, well," Lilith gushed, pausing in front of Kendall and balancing her umbrella against her shoulder. She seemed cool and comfortable, not a trace of sweat on her flawless skin. "I'd heard you were hawking your father's wares, but I didn't believe it."

"Move along, Lilith."

"Why, Kendall. Aren't you going to try and make a sale?" She motioned to Olivia. "We are two potential customers who stopped for a look. What kind of merchant are you?"

"You don't want to buy anything."

"I don't? Well, alert the papers for you must be a psychic for being able to read my mind."

"Be glad you can't read my mind. You wouldn't like what I'm thinking about you."

"You're not going to make any money with such an attitude, I assure you."

"Keep your money. Go spend it on useless things."

"Thank you, I do plan to spend my money elsewhere, first and foremost on a new dress. One of mine was ruined the other night, as you may have seen."

Kendall folded her arms and shrugged. "You need to be more careful then. Clumsiness is unbecoming."

"So is cheating."