30. Kendall: On A Mission

Lilith didn't come back to Hurtmore that night. Brandon fell into a miserable mood, and it was no better come morning.

Kendall's father went back to work, either out of a sense of duty or out of the uncomfortable atmosphere that had arisen, leaving Kendall and her mother to keep Brandon company.  

"Kendall," her brother said to her halfway through the afternoon, after there was still no word from Lilith. "Will you do me a favor?"

She had a good feeling she knew what he was going to ask for. "Anything."

"Find out what happened to her. Find out what's going on."

Logan came in as he said this. He stepped forward, nodding in Kendall's direction. "I'll go with her."

Brandon blinked in surprise. "Really?"

Logan nodded.

"Thank you."

"No need to thank me. It's more for her sake than yours."

"Even so."

He drew a long breath, lightly nudging Kendall's arm. "Come on then."

A few minutes later, the pair were making their way out of the estate together. It was a mild, pretty day, and their strolling pace made Kendall feel awkward, as if they were a couple sneaking away for some privacy. Get such thoughts out of your head, Kendall. You know he doesn't see you that way.

At first, neither of them said anything or even met each other's gaze. Kendall began to rethink allowing him to come with her, deciding she had better find something to say. She cleared her throat, speaking up, "So what do you think happened to her?"

"Lilith? Her father must have said or done something to guilt her into staying home." 

"I can't believe her. She promised she would come back."

"I'm sure she had her reasons."

"Giving her the benefit of the doubt?" Kendall asked with a hint of displeasure.

"We don't know the whole story after all."

"I'll never forgive her if she backs out on him, never."

"If that does happen, Brandon will survive. As I did."

"But you never forget something like that, do you?"

"No, you don't. But maybe that's a good thing. You never forget what you learn either."

"So what did you learn?"

"Me? I learned about myself. And that means a great deal. We have to understand ourselves before we can understand anyone else, don't you think?"

"That's ... very profound."

He laughed. "I know. I'm surprised too."

"So you really don't regret anything?"

"Of course I do. I regret hurting her and your brother. I regret all the time I wasted being angry and hurt. But then again, perhaps all that was part of the lesson. Part of a long, difficult lesson I had to learn for myself."

They trotted through the trees, slowing as they passed the spot where they had met when he first returned to Coser. Logan shot her a meaningful look, remarking, "It seems like such a long time ago, doesn't it?"

"A lot's happened."

"By the way, I've been wondering about this bet of yours."

She let out a groan. "It was stupid of me, I know."