31. Lilith: Worth Fighting For

I am in trouble, thought Lilith as she watched people stream through the front door of her home. Men came forward and pumped her father's hand, showering him with congratulations.

Someone appeared in front of her - Mrs. Townsend, all jovial. "So you're no longer marrying Regina's boy?"

"Uh, no," Lilith answered, with a nervous look in her father's direction. He still hadn't said anything, being taken aback by this outpouring from the townspeople. "No, that's been called off. He's away in the country right now."

"He seemed like a nice boy," Mrs. Townsend said to be polite. "But Brandon Moore - there's a fine young man! You're a lucky one, Lilith. Oh, that's not to say he isn't either of course. You've always been the loveliest young woman in Coser, in my thoughts."

"Thank you," Lilith said, as the older woman air-kissed her. It was strange, but a small measure of happiness began to bloom inside her. All this joy and cheer was rubbing off on her, even though her father had not actually said she could marry Brandon yet.

Mrs. Townsend went to join her husband in giving well-wishes to her father, and someone brushed up next to Lilith - it was Regina.

"I don't understand how this happened," Lilith said in a low voice.

"Someone must have spread the news. One of the Moores, I take it."

"They knew nothing was confirmed . How could they do this? Father will kill me."

"It wasn't your fault."

"He'll never say yes to the marriage now."

They looked up as they heard Mrs. Townsend ask Richard Harper, "Has a date been fixed?"

"Umm," Lilith's father trailed off.

"No, not yet," Regina answered for him.

"Will it be a big wedding?"

"Of course," she continued brightly. "It's a happy occasion, after all."

"That it is! All of Coser will want to come and celebrate."

Really? Lilith wondered. She'd always seen her family and the Moores as being on opposite ends, but maybe that wasn't right. Maybe they were just two sides - two sides who could come together and make something whole, make things better. Or was she being naive?

Later, after everyone had been ushered out and the Harper-Blacks had their privacy, Lilith eyed her father, expecting to be interrogated over what had just happened. He was standing in the foyer, rubbing a patch of lined forehead, his brows furrowed.

"Richard?" Regina prompted in a gentle, coaxing tone.

"I don't understand. What is it about that boy? He has no name, no connections, no measurable worth as far as I'm concerned. Why such a reaction?"

Regina nodded at Lilith, leaving it to her to explain. Lilith faltered, her eyes widening. Her father was watching her, waiting for her answer. "I suppose it's because he's a hero," she offered.

"A few victories and trophies do not make a hero."

"He rose from nothing and made a name for himself, based on nothing but his own will and determination. Now, people from as far as Dyon and Contin have heard of him. Him, a boy from our little town of Coser, " Lilith stopped, realizing she was speaking at arrow-fire speed. She blinked up at her father, taking a much-needed breath.

"I see," was all her father said. 

Regina went over, nudging him with her arm. He fiddled with the buttons on his coat, looking uncomfortable. "And now the whole of Coser thinks you're going to be married to him. I always thought that when you got engaged, people would be congratulating the groom-to-be. But we are the ones being congratulated? As if we are the ones making a fortunate alliance?"