22. Kendall: Out Of Control

"I now pronounce you man and wife."

Cheers went up as Richard Harper and Regina Black shared a kiss to seal the match. The couple turned around, smiling before a circle of guests, and beyond them, a crowd of onlookers all around Coser's square.

Like everyone else on that street, Kendall and her family had come out to watch the proceedings. The event was as lavish as one would expect. A small space had been cordoned off for the ceremony, tented with sheer drapes and carpeted with silk. Mauve ribbon-sashes and strings of crystalline flowers could be spotted decorating the entrance and the guest tables.

Fittingly, the couple looked like royalty for their big day. Richard Harper was distinguished in his ash-gray suit, while his new wife's wedding gown was a work of art - tailored to her slender body, delicately cut, the sleeves latticed with intricate patterns. The pair stopped to drink bubbly with their guests, laughing and red-cheeked with delirium. Lilith was there, although she did not look to be in a celebratory mood.

Kendall would soon see why. In the middle of drinking, Richard Harper stopped to draw the attention of his guests. "I wish to thank everyone for attending today. It means a great deal to Regina and I."

"We wish you all the best," his best man piped up, lifting his glass. Kendall did not recognize him, but she liked his face. He was probably in his thirties, ruggedly handsome with honey-brown hair and a strong jaw.

"Thank you, Rory. On that note, we have an announcement to make." He gestured at Lilith, while Regina ­now-a-Harper nodded at her son. Lilith and Tyler stepped over reluctantly, standing side-by-side.

"Show everyone, Lilith," Richard Harper said, and Lilith lifted a hand. Something glittered as it caught the sunlight - a stone upon her fourth finger. A ring.

There were gasps and murmurs of surprise, sweeping through the tent like a current. "Engaged?"

Regina Harper nodded, clutching her son's shoulder. "Indeed. We are very happy."

People began coming forward with congratulations, and Kendall noticed that Lilith and Tyler did not look happy to receive them. She turned, glancing at her brother. "So she was telling the truth."

"Yes, she was."

"Even though she knows ... ?"

He nodded stiffly.

"I don't understand. If she knew she was going to win, why would she call off the bet?"

"Because I did my job a little too well."

"Not well enough to stop her from marrying him."

Kendall turned her head, spotting Logan standing on the step of his house. He must have heard the announcement. To her surprise, he came over and joined them. He and Brandon had not spoken since their argument at Hurtmore, and some tension clearly remained.

Kendall nodded at Logan, hating herself for what she was about to say. It was the right thing to do though, the selfless thing to do. "It should be you up there next to her. Not Tyler Black."

Brandon shot her a look, and she explained, "He's the only one who can stop this."

"Have you forgotten what happened at Hurtmore? I'm sure she hasn't."

"She and I were never meant to be, I suppose," Logan lamented.

"You still have a chance," Kendall told him, and now, Brandon flinched. He reached out, taking hold of her arm.

"A word, baby sister," he said curtly, pulling her away.

"Wha -?"

He dragged her around a corner, where she wriggled her arm free. "What's gotten into you?"