chapter twenty six: past

"Girl, would you hurry up!" Kate shouted from the top of the dune, Y/n was about half way up. She was exhausted, "I've been walking for two more hours than you!" the girl panted. "That's not an excuse!" the other girl shouted, looking down at the struggling girl. "I can see the garage, not looking too good." Kate exclaimed. "Alright! Alright.." Y/n said, reaching the top. Kate was right. The garage had smashed windows, sand inside. "Yeah.. that's not too good." Y/n said quickly, they looked across the landscape and all they could see.. was sand. Constant sand. Not even any buildings, just sand all over the horizon.

They decided to skip the garage, looked far too sketchy. They continued walking through the scorchy landscapes before Kate spoke up, "So, what was your life like before I found you?" Kate asked her, "Uh.. well I worked for wckd. But.. but let me explain. I betrayed them. Then they sent me into the maze." Kate looked at her, "Ah yes, the maze. Everyone in the outside world found out about that. Not very many people supported it. But, we never really got to know about them, tell me." the girl said. "Well.. we had this place called The Glade. It was a little place in the centre, on the outsides was the maze. In a large circle, then the blades on the outside." Y/n said, Kate continued to look at her.

"Well.. tell me more about about this Glade. Sounds cool." Kate asked. "Well, it was very big. It was filled with trees and manmade huts. We had bonfires once a month, when the new greenie would come up in the box. They'd send a different person up inside a metal cage every single month. There were about fifty of us in total, I was like the sixth person to come up, maybe seventh." Y/n told her, "Hm.. tell me more about the people. What were they like?" Kate asked. Y/n was getting tired of her questions but still answered. After all, she was helping her. "Oh.. uh well, there was my brother Thomas. Who I didn't know was my brother in the maze, until your mother told me. My bestfriend, Minho. He was a Runner and ran the maze everyday, he's great."

"And then there was Newt. When I first came up in the box, he was one of the first people I met. I remember the first day I came up in the box, he made me introduce myself to everyone. Didn't give me a choice." the girl laughed, "After a while we became friends, then bestfriends.. then maybe a little bit more." Y/n said. Kate smiled at her, "I'll get you back to him. I'm sure he'll be over the moon to see you." she said. "Yeah.. I hope he will be. It's just annoying that they all think I'm dead.. I just hope they're not sitting around moping over me. I left him a letter, just incase. I told him not to, but I'm not sure he actually listened." Y/n said to her.

The girl started to get slightly upset thinking about them, she missed them alot. She missed seeing the blonde boys' face everyday and her annoying brother who she loved both dearly. She wiped the tear from the side of her face and took a deep breath, "I really do miss the Glade. If I could go back and it didn't have anything to do with wicked, I totally would. If you were there, I'm pretty sure you would too." Y/n said smiling. "It sounds pretty cool.. it seemed like lot of fun in there." Kate said, turning her head back to face the girl. "Yeah it was." Y/n replied, "Most of the time anyway." she said sighing.

It brought back alot of memories talking about the Glade, she remembered Chuck. And how he was killed, she remembered Alby. How he was killed by a Griever and how he told her to 'get them out'. "Hello? Earth to Y/n?" Kate said, snapping her fingers. This reminded her of Newt, he said this to her once back in the Glade. "Oh yeah, sorry." the girl replied. "We should rest soon, it's getting late.." The older girl said, stopping the girl in her tracks. She sat down against a large rock, "You can tell me more about that place another time.." Kate said, yawning. Y/n nodded and sat next to her.