Ch.10 •The Scorch•

Start from the beginning

I was sitting in between Newt and Winston. I carefully wrapped Winston's stomach with a bandage as he grunted in pain. "How's your leg?"Winston asked pointing to my bloody ankle. "It's okay don't worry about me. Your health is more important right now," I said as I finished wrapping his stomach. "Thank you Y/n," he said as he gave me a tired smile before falling asleep. I looked around to see everyone asleep. I was sitting there quietly as I heard the cranks go away. As I was sitting there I felt Newt move around beside me. I turned to look at him to find him already looking at me. He broke the silence "what are you doing? Get some rest," he said as I heard his British accent more clearly than before.

I looked down and fiddled with my bracelet, "I- I can't sleep, I haven't been able to sleep since my parents died. I see them every time I try to sleep," I said finally looking at him. "They'd be proud of you, you know. Your parents you've helped us all a lot and saved me," he said as he put a hand over mine. His eyes drifted off to my leg, he grabbed a cloth beside him and wrapped it around my ankle. "Thanks, Newt," I whispered. I felt him put his arm around my shoulder and pull me closer to him, "Try getting some sleep, I'll be here if you get nightmares," I felt safe as he had his arm around me, I nodded and closed my eyes feeling myself fall asleep.

Newt's POV:

I finished wrapping her wound, "Thanks, Newt." I heard her tiredly whisper. I got the urge and confidence to put my arm around her and pull her closer to my body, "try gettin' some sleep, I'll be here if you get nightmares," I told her. She nodded and laid her head on my chest. I've only known this girl for a day but all I want to do is keep her safe. I felt her body loosen up against mine. She was asleep, her chest slowly rising up and down as she peacefully slept. She'd flinch once in while. Every time she flinched I'd squeeze her hand or rub her back, reminding her I was here. I felt myself slowly fall asleep with my arms around her.

•••••••••••••
A/n: Newts pov is hard for me since it is new. So it might not sound a lot like him so bare with me, thanks! <3
•••••••••••••
(The next morning)

Y/n's POV:

I woke up to the sound of something moving around and someone moving around. A crow was pecking at someone's bag while Thomas was trying to shoo it away with his hand. Newt had woken up to all the noise Thomas was making and so had everyone else. "Morning love, How was your sleep," asked Newt sitting up. "It was very good, thanks Newt," I responded. "They gone?" Spoke up Newt as Thomas looked around. "Yeah I think we're safe for now," Thomas answered as everyone started getting up. I grabbed my things and Newt gave me a hand up. Once I stood up I heard Winston grunt in pain beside me. "Hey, man you okay?" I heard Fry say as he pulled Winston up to his feet.

Winstons wound wasn't doing too well I could see it bleeding through the bandage. He was getting weaker by the minute. We walked through an old abandoned scorched city. "What the hell happened to this place?" Fry asked to no one specific. "I don't know. But it doesn't look like anyone's been here in a long time," answered Newt. "I hope the whole world's not like this," said Aris. "I hope so too," I said from in front of him and behind Minho. We all kept walking when we all turned around at the sound of Thomas, "Woah. Woah-wo hang on stop!" We all quickly stopped on spot, "do you hear that?" Thomas question. As the noise started getting closer I said, "it's a berg" but it only came out as a whisper.