Chapter 09: Anima (Or, played with feeling)

Start from the beginning

Cell phones existed for over ten years in Japan, but they were were now just starting to become popular. Asuka was responsible for her phone bill either way, so she decided it made more sense to have a portable one.

Free nights and weekends too.

"Mushi-Mushi, this is the Minamino residence," a smooth voice said on the other end.

"Kurama, its me," Asuka grinned.

"Asuka, its been a few days," he said brightly. "I trust you've settled in?"

She looked around the small room. "Mostly. I, or rather, Shizuru signed an apartment for me and I picked up some supplies at Tokyou Hands. I'm only a twenty-minute walk from school which is nice."

"Speaking of school," Kurama said, "I know you've been busy, but do you think you'll have time to study tomorrow? You've got about ten days to prepare and I want to help as much as I can."

Asuka stifled a yawn and rubbed her eye. "Yeah, that's why I called actually. Time to hit the books."

"May I have your address?" Kurama asked. "I'll meet you at your apartment at ten and then we can head to the library."

"Sure, I just hope it's not too far from your house."

Kurama then took her address and new phone number before promising to see her in the morning.

I can do this, she told herself. I've got to.

-* ᘛ⁐̤ᕐᐷ *-

The next morning, Kurama rung her doorbell at exactly ten am. Asuka opened the door to find him wearing a black shirt that brought out the red of his hair and the green of his eyes. He smiled softly, causing Asuka to do the same.

"Good morning Kurama. Would you like to come in for a moment?"

He peered over her shoulder. "I would. Thank you for allowing me to come."

"Of course," Asuka replied. "It's not much, just a 1R, but..."

"You thought it was better to conserve your money?" Kurama offered.

She pushed back the loose strands of hair behind her ears. "Yes, that's it exactly."

With his shoes off, Kurama stepped into the apartment and began to walk down the narrow hallway. "It's prudent, and wise," he said.

Asuka was grateful for the comment and followed Kurama into her apartment. She watched his eyes sweep over her humble dwelling before they found hers.

"I like it," he said sincerely. "And it's nice you have a small balcony."

"Actually," Asuka said looking over at the door to the outside, "I was wondering if you could tell me what kind of plants would be suitable for my apartment and the balcony. I'm thinking about having one outside and one inside."

Kurama crossed the room, slid open the door to the balcony, and peaked his head out. Asuka watched with fascination as he closed his eyes and breathed deeply before coming inside.

"I have an idea," he said. "It looks like the balcony gets a lot of sun but judging by the height of the building next door, only some light will get in here. What kind of plants would you like?"

"Flowers please."

His eyes danced. "I saw a garden store on the way here. If you don't mind me coming back with you later, we could stop and get some supplies."

"I'd love that," Asuka said, regarding her friend with a warm expression. "Thank you, Kurama."

"It is no trouble. Shall we be off?"