The Connection

Al kept Cheshire close.

He was stuck to his arm keeping the the scarf around then both.

Cheshire walked down the hall and to the new door that was added.

He looked at Al who tightened his grip on his arm and got closer.

Opening it papers swarmed out like bees. The razor paper cuts their bare cheeks and arms forcing them down to their knees.

Cheshire covered Al, not wanting Cheshire to be hurt anymore Al lift his hand shutting the door and clicking it.

Thud sounds came and then a banging sound. They straightened and watched the door.

A monster lurked in the other side. This time a small mark appeared on Al's forehead as he stood up releasing Cheshire.

He moved with him and cautiously they opened the door again.

Papers swarmed inside.

Al didn't say anything, he felt Cheshire grab his hand and walk in.

Into the storm of papers and books a light barrier formed around them healing the cuts if the razor papers.

It felt like a child's nightmare. A massive spider stepped by almost making Al run for the door but Cheshire had a firm grip on him.

They heard laughter and rain. People crying and screaming. It was then when they realized it was a connection.

Al saw the memory through the papers. The dream of the cat he saved.

But only for it to be hit by a car days after its rescue.

He saw it pure and rub against his leg, it was a memory and he smiled.

Adam came by grabbing the cat, the papers swarmed and took them both away.

"Wait.." he reached for them and a hand greeted his own. It was Cheshire.

A memory he had long forgotten.

"I am Cheshire, your favorite cat."

He stared as the memory left, it was something he didn't realize until then.

"A memory," Al said.

Cheshire looked at him.

"They are all memories.." he smiled astound, "It's not a book about me, it's a book of memories."

Cheshire then noticed it too and remembered the goddesses' words.

He remembered a strange riddle, one he said before.

"I am here. But not here," he said and Al heard it before too.

"I am the world, yet, only one. The sky, yet, not above. I am the words in these pages, yet, not the words in this book."

They said and the pages froze in the air. Ice covered them. The a light filled them.

The swarming pages formed two books. A light green cover reading "Alice in Wonderland" and a light blue cover reading "Al in Wonderland".

"It's her riddle," Al remembered grabbing the green book, "It's from her childhood..." He said sadly,

Cheshire grabbed the blue one frowning.

"Are going back?" He asked.

Al looked at him and stared, "Going back?"

"This pillar.. the tree..." he said, "It's going to open soon.." he said.

Al didn't feel excited at all. He didn't want to go back, he wanted to stay there with them, with Cheshire.

"D-do you want me to?" Al asked not looking at him.

Cheshire touched his cheek making him look his way. He smiled and Al smiled too.

"If it's possible," he whispered, "Can you stay?"

It was then when it hit Al, "You liked her," he said. His heart sank.

His smile faded and Cheshire blinked, "Liked?"

"You liked Alice!" Al said and a sudden falter was felt in the scarf around them both. "You liked her!"

"No, you have the wrong idea," he kept him from running away, "I like you, only you-"

A memory flashed before them.

"I've spent years looking for you--"

They watched it pass,

"I am the Cheshire Cat you love so much."

Al remembered those words, the small shift in the connection in the scarf fixed, Cheshire sighed calmly,

"You're so self conscious.." Cheshire complained with a smile.

Al smiled embarrassed.

"For someone so young.." Bell whispered and they heard it.

"He loves Cheshire?" Vaan asked.

Al's cheeks turned red from even more embarrassment.

"I am surprised you have not yet noticed." Zola's voice whispered.

"Love me?" Cheshire said and Al quickly looked away.

"A-as an owner to a cat!" He said quickly defending his childish feelings.
"N-nothing more!" He was ready to cry.

Cheshire smiled laughing, "As an owner to a cat?" He laughed.

The pages shined and formed the library again, the pages cleared and everything was normal, a large crescent Cheshire moon shined above.

And in it sparkled memories, outside over the door emerged the words "moon library" in moon color.

Cheshire held Al closely so he wouldn't get any more ideas.

He smiled and kissed his forehead gently feeling something he never felt before.

His ears popped into pinkish sparkles and his tail swayed with a sparkling fade.

His hair grew a little and his eyes shined brighter.

He looked like any regular human now. It was a connection he never felt before.

Something he wanted to treasure like no other.