Bonus: A Human Heart (Part 6)

I shuddered at the possibilities and dared not ask. I too, had had my dealings with orcs, and for a brief moment was in their captivity, along with Merry and Pippin during our quest. But seemed that the fate that had met Elladan's mother was something less fortunate than the one me and my companions endured.

"...Ada, having the advantage of being a powerful elf and having the closest bond to our mother, performed Sanwë Latya on her, hoping to treat her spirit. But, alas, she was already broken beyond mending," he reminisced, ancient silvery eyes looking far, tired and weary. "He sent her to the Valinor, knowing that only the Valar could heal her spirit."

I put two and two together.

"You're saying that I'm fading?" I asked in disbelief, "Like she was?"

"–I never said that." he cut me rather harshly, then inhaled, looking deeply troubled. The young lord of Rivendell refused to meet my eyes. Rather, I watched as he unconsciously rubbed his own hand with his thumb–his tell tale sign of anxiety. "Elrohir thinks that your humanity makes you stronger than our mother."

Fading.

I let out a bitter chuckle, still not believing what he implied. "It was an embarrassing meltdown, yes," I sulked at the memory, refusing to believe such a faraway notion. "But not a reason for me to fade."

Elladan turned his serious eyes to me. He opened his left palm for me, "Take my hand."

I looked at his open hand with distrust. He snorted, "Go on, I don't bite," he said with a wolfish smirk.

"No. You're gonna pull something with me," I accused.

"What? Nay!" protested Elladan, looking somewhat offended, "I just opened up to you about my naneth–do you really think me daft?"

I shrunk inwardly, ashamed. Not wanting to offend the elf that was basically my first teacher here in Middle Earth, I muttered my apology and quickly take his hand.

"Woah, you're–"

"Hot, as you put it?" he grinned, and I rolled my eyes.

"You're unbelievably warm," I corrected him, with not a small amount of alarm, looking at him for signs of fever.

"Nay, Leane. I am perfectly healthy," he said, his seriousness returned. "You on the other hand," he squeezed my hand gently, "Your skin is like ice to mine."

I took my hand back and studied it, shaking my head. "No. It can't be," I turned my gaze at him, "I feel fine."

"Do you?" he questioned me back, "Have you taken a look at yourself lately? You've worsened ever since you wake up."

I hadn't. Everyday since I woke up, I changed everyday without even bothering to look at my vanity. I was too scared to look into a mirror, fearing my own reflection, knowing that I would hate what I saw.

A weakling. A murderer. An imposter.

Hypocrite!

I shuddered at the loud voice in my head. When my eyes finally met Elladan's, he was already studying me, his gaze penetrating as if hearing everything that had been going on in my mind. All at once, I felt my blood freeze, and my heart racing, as if it was trying to outrun my breath.

He knows. He hears that. Of course he does! He was inside my head

The elf warrior caught my hand, and in an instant I was trapped in his silvery gaze as he spoke to me. His voice clear, directive yet gentle at the same time.

"A si i-Dhúath ú-orthor, Leane. Ú or le a ú or nin."

I did not know what he did to me–it seemed like he did nothing but speak, but I felt as if I was forced to listen. At the sound of his voice, the condemning voices in my head ceased altogether, and I was left staring at him, dumbfounded.