48

Rian's POV

My patience was waning. Yes, we had to get home to Liam and Evelyn but I wanted to detach the King & Queen's heads from their bodies.

If not, I declare war.

Oisin was following his heart, something I didn't have the ability to do. I have a clan to protect and lead. As King I can't just fall for every lass that gives me butterflies.

And Evelyn gave me butterflies. She gave me hope that my eternity of existence wasn't going to be the same everyday. That life wasn't just about blood and lust.

As soon as her shitty excuse for a mum came back to the land of the fog, I went to see her. I wasn't planning on falling for her. She was only a teenager. She was stunning. Which is why that step-dad of hers had to die.

He couldn't keep his hands to himself. I planned on torturing him, starting with each finger dipped in acid before chopping off his disgusting hands that had the audacity to touch what was mine!

But he was drunk and attacked her again. She took a knife and punched it into his skin. I was surprised when I saw her finally defending herself but a butter knife wasn't going to do the damage needed to stop a full grown man.

I intervened, wanting to slash his throat, but she depended on this man for money and was smart. I crushed the car with his body and the bottle of rum he was drinking in his hand against a telephone poll.

The man deserved a shallow grave. Hell, he deserved to be cut to pieces, skinned alive, tortured everyday until I decided he could die. But Evelyn was stubborn. She knew I was a vampire and she knew about my brother. She called us her protectors, even used the word hero. I was anything but a hero. So I erased her memory with mind compulsion. The whole killing him thing though seemed to stay on her mind. She thought she had done it or caused it. I felt her guilt but no matter what I did her mind wouldn't budge.

Now I know why - she was part fae. I believed her father was a human that her mum had married before the perverse stepfather. If I had known at the time I wouldn't have tried to use compulsion. Faeries are an emotional lot and it's no wonder her guilt stayed with her.

I'd have to fix that when we got back home. I wanted to know if she was okay. Trusting Liam hasn't been my strong suit but I had no choice at this point.

Every time I try to step out on my own, Oisin and Fiona bring me back.

It looks like we are getting out of this castle. Walking around in the sun. Going home. And lastly start a war.

***

Oisin's POV

Rian looked like he was about to kill someone so I had to keep him focused on Nyx's plan. He should be happy! We are going home. To Evelyn. Our Evee.

But I know what weighs heavy on his heart and mind. Because it does for me too.

Who will she chose?

Shaking the thoughts from my head I remember we have to get out of this realm first. But we also should take this time to enjoy the sun. It's been centuries. Centuries! Since we've stood out under the suns heated glow. For just a moment I could forget the monsters we became.

When I get back I'm going to tell Evelyn everything. Any and all questions will be answered. My past will be an open book to her, especially when it came to her ancestors. She needs to see the treaty and know the whole story about Maggie.

Did I ever love Maggie?

What if we get this all wrong and soulmates for vampires will become nonexistent. Fiona and Liam might not be together...

Well either way they might not be together. Their bond might not be the mate bond they thought it was or they might never have a chance to feel it.

This was too much for Evelyn. She needed to be concerned about her own happiness. How can she be happy if she isn't free to choose to stay with us?

I coughed to get Fiona and Rian's attention. We had been walking over six hours now and a majority of it was in silence.

"When we get back, what's our stance on the treaty?"

Stopping at the top of a mountain we could see the portal to our realm was still a ways away.

"Well I think it's stupid. The whole thing is a based on a contract signed before you both became vampires. You were bloody Vikings!" Fiona kicked her foot into the dry dirt and some small rocks bounced out.

"Fair enough. You won't born yet so I get why you might not fully understand the circumstances..."

"Of course she bloody hell doesn't! Do you? I'm king and I barely understand the damn thing. It's written in Gaelic or some beginning form of that, something we didn't speak back then either!" Rian turned towards me and looked like he was about to throw me off the side of the mountain.

"Oisin, I'd agree to null and void the contract if Evelyn picks one of us as her mate. Agreed?"

I met his hand with my own and shook on it. Rian pulled me into a man hug, hitting one another on the shoulders when Fiona tried to make it a group hug and we separated quicker than oil and water.

"Just one group family hug? Please?! Please please please please please!"

"If it will shut you up." Rian smirked.

"I promise it will." She gave Rian such an innocent look but he should know better by now, Fiona always gets what she wants. "Fine."

Our hug lasted less than a minute. Fiona was beaming. I love making her happy.

"It's good to see you smile." Rian patted her on the back as we started quickly picking up speed. "Let's go home."

With that we moved faster than a horse would have but it was tiring nonetheless.

Within another few hours we'd be home.

Home at last.