31

I stand behind a red heavy dropped silk curtain waiting to be announced. My parents just made their way out and from the noise level it sounds like everyone in Manhattan is here.

"Try to breathe miss." Violet fans me with a copy of the invitation. I'm sweating so much I might as well not have spent 6 hours getting my hair and make-up done.

"I can't do this Violet." My heart is pounding in my chest like a drum. I'm sure many supernatural beings already have located me before I've entered the ball.

"Miss? They called your name..." that's all I hear before Violet shoved me. So unlike her!

A beautiful male faery escorts me out onto the platform where the makeshift thrones have been placed. They look identical to the ones in the throne room but this place is massive. 

A spotlight follows me as he leads me to the seat next to my mother. When the cheering ends and the spotlight leaves, I'm left with a view of a ball built for me. Magical.

Pixies fly holding up lanterns, twinkle lights soft hang from the ceiling and near the front of where we sit there is the largest chandelier I've ever seen. Fog on the floor, white tapestry with lighting makes it look like twilight. I couldn't believe the music I was hearing - something familiar but on the strings. 

"Princess, it's time for your first dance. You have multiple suitors, all royal and preapproved." My father whispers in my ear and I try not to roll my eyes. "You get to choose." For now.

I saw both Rian and Oisin in the line of 10 or so men. All could be underwear models for Calvin Klein. I'm surprised to see Rian and Oisin smiling next to one another. "Oisin. I pick Prince Oisin."

My father hesitates, "wouldn't you like to be on the arm of a king like King Rian?"

"He can have the next dance."

My heart flutters when my eyes meet Rian's gaze and I'm sure my blush shows, but when my eyes meet Oisin's eyes it's like there is no one else here. My heart pounds against my ribcage as he walks forward. I forgot about the whole supernatural hearing he was quickly in front of my father bowing but he quickly turned towards me and I melted. He put his hand out and I took it.

Sparks. Heat. I don't know if I will make it through this dance. 

"Hello Princess. I am honored to dance with such an exquisite young faery druidess." He winks and I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding in. "It will be much more fun if you are breathing, although I'm happy to know I take your breath away the same way you take mine."

He pulls me out onto the dance floor and the full orchestra strikes up. I follow his lead, I can barely feel my legs, I spin in and out and all around the dance floor. The mans got moves. And when the chorus hits for the second time others join in - not that I noticed. All I could see was him. Oisin pulled me close, his hand crept lower on my back but he stayed firm, like a promise to keep me steady, to never let go.

I breathe him in as he leans down and we are cheek to cheek. His hot breath on my ear is making my spine tingle, but he keeps me up and dancing. I want to stay in this moment forever. 

"How are you?" I pull away because I need to see his face. I need to memorize his face. How could I have missed soft his lips look? Or how he smiles with his eyes? He is beautiful.

"Ah lass, don't you think I should be asking you that question?" His eyes water but holds himself together. "I..." There was obviously too much to say and too little time. "I've never prayed to the moon goddess before but she has my devotion now that you are back safe and sound. Evelyn, I'm so fucking sorry. It's all my-"