27. Lilith: Love Cuts Deep

Start from the beginning

"But even if this is true, what do you expect me to do about it?"

"Talk to them. They both care about you."

"Brandon is your brother."

"But he's your - " Kendall wavered for an instant. "He's in love with you."

Silence descended as those words bounced between Lilith's ears. He's in love with you. Logan had told her he'd loved her, a long time ago. But the words had been said often, feverishly as if in a dream. This ... this was something else altogether.

Kendall drew in a slow, shaky breath. "Please, just come with me. If I am wrong, then I am wrong, and I will be glad for it. But if this is really happening, I don't want to confront them alone. I'm not good at this sort of thing. I wouldn't know how to break up a fight."

"Neither would I."

"You did at your house, when Brandon came to confront Tyler. You did everything right. Please, he needs you. They both need you."

"Can you please stop talking like that? I hate that kind of talk. As far as I'm concerned, they're both stupid boys."

Kendall gave her such a look of disappointment then, that Lilith couldn't help feeling bad for her. Damn you Moores. "Alright," she relented. "For your sake, I'll go."

Kendall didn't even think to thank her in her hurry to leave. She grabbed Lilith's arm, carting her off. They moved quickly back the way Lilith had come, ducking through the woods past the Moore house in the direction of Hurtmore. This was the shortcut Lilith had mentioned once to her father. It was the first time she had actually taken it. The rising shadows and questionable sounds of life were eerie, but at the same time, they excited her. Her pulse quickened, and a thrill coursed through her, even though Kendall was not the person she would have chosen to do this with.

It seemed too soon when they broke free of the trees and emerged in view of the Hurtmore estate. Kendall rushed past the gates, while Lilith trailed slowly after her. "This feels like trespassing," Lilith hissed as Kendall stopped in the middle of the walk.

Before Kendall could respond, there was a cry from somewhere across the grounds, behind the house. Kendall took off on quick feet. Lilith pulled up her skirts, struggling to catch up. She rounded the side of the house, and came upon two figures - one on the ground, clutching a bloodied shoulder, and another standing above him with sword in hand.

"Logan!" Kendall shouted, and the two figures turned in surprise.

"Kendall?"

"What have you done?"

Logan glanced down at Brandon, looking as shocked at himself as they were. Kendall ran up, clutching both of Logan's arms, and his hands went limp. 

Lilith went the other way, moving towards Brandon on the ground. The scent of blood rose to greet her, and she quickly surveyed the stain on his shirt. "You shouldn't be here," Brandon told her gruffly.

She reached for him, but he recoiled. "I'm fine."

"You're losing blood."

"What do you care?"

Lilith stared at him uncertainly for a moment. He's in love with you. Her next words came out in a voice that was soft and gentle, words of truth. "I care because I love you."

His gaze traveled up, meeting her own. He didn't know what to say.

"Don't you think we've all done enough fighting?" she said, including Logan in her gaze.