12

You along with Kye and Vincent leave the prison, shocked about everything that the three of you heard from the Champion.

"She's met with the same guardians that were known to have completely abandon Holon." Kye said. "I can't help but wonder what their reason was for letting her see them let alone lending her some power."

"Well, it seemed that not even Elsie herself knew their reason so I doubt any of us are going to get answers to that." Vincent said. "Still...that girl she was talking to." he sighed and shook his head. "That whole exchange we saw was pathetic. She drove her own partner pokemon away yet wants to blame everything on Elsie. I can't stand people like that. An attitude like that was the reason why Sagent and Resilvern left Holon in the first place. Well, that doesn't matter now. We all got two more badges to get. Let's do our best to get a place in the tournaments."

Vincent quickly runs off.

"I guess he has a point in a way...about certain attitudes being the reason why Holon struggled for a bit before Elsie and the Elite Four came back and established a league here." Kye noted. "It's not too far of a stretch to believe that the people back then thought that the former guardian's friend was the sole reason for any mishaps that happened and targetted them, similar to how Demetria was blaming Elsie for everything. Kinda makes you wonder what Holon today would be like if those events never happened..."

It's then that you decide to resume your journey, going to the next route. You quickly notice that the route is a lot darker than other routes that you've gone through up until this point, having a similar aura to Oreson City. The rarest pokemon that you've seen was a Zorua.

Eventually after exploring, you reach the next place, Wolfcrest City.

You look around in awe, not expecting the city's main source of light to be floating lanterns

"So, I'm guessing that you're a challenger." a girl walks up to you. She has dark brown, almost black hair and yellow eyes, wearing a black t-shirt with yellow on the rims of the sleeves and jeans. The shirt reminds you of the ring patterns of an Umbreon. "Yeah, you definitely are. You got almost all of the gym badges. I'm Kayla, the gym leader here. I try to greet any potential challenger when they enter this town. With most of the light source around here being lanterns, it can be a little hard to find your way around. The shadows cast on Tria City kinda leave this place without much sunlight. I'll show you the way to the Pokemon Center and give you directions to my gym alright."

Kayla leads you to the Pokemon Center and then informs you that certain lanterns that shine a different light than the others create a path that will light the way to the gym and to look for those lanterns when you're ready to challenge her gym and then leaves to wait for you. You make the necessary preparations before finding those lanterns and following them to the gym. There at the entrance, Kayla is waiting for you.

"So you came here as soon as you could huh? You and your pokemon must be more than ready to take on my gym then. The mission here is fairly simple; get through the maze that I've set up here. But be careful...things aren't always what they appear."

It's then that the Kayla in front of you transforms into a Zorua. It snickers and then runs off.

You then start traversing through the maze. In some parts it looks like a dead end  or it looks like you can go further but you're not allowed to go through. Interacting with these certain areas will cause a gym trainer to appear and a battle starts. Eventually you reach the end. What looks like another dead end is actually a door. You open it and you soon find yourself in an arena where Kayla is waiting for you.

She smiles when she sees you approaching. "Looks like you managed to get through my maze, even with all the things to trip you up. I'm impressed. Well, I'm sure you know how this goes by now. You go complete the challenge, and then you battle the gym leader. May the best trainer win."

The battle begins

Kayla's Team

Absol (Ability: Super Luck) Night Slash, Detect, Slash, Sucker Punch

Morpeko (Ability: Hunger Switch) Aura Wheel, Bullet Seed, Crunch, Agility

Liepard (Ability: Limber) Assurance, Sucker Punch, Hone Claws, Play Rough

Umbreon (Ability: Synchronize) Shadow Ball, Dark Pulse, Assurance, Moonlight

Zoroark [will disguise itself as a Skuntank] (Ability: Illusion) Night Daze, Foul Play, Revenge, Night Slash

"You're definitely a strong trainer that cares deeply for your pokemon. I can see why you won." she says when you win the battle before handing you the Eclipse badge.

"Well, it looks like you're done battling gym leaders." Kayla says. "I'm excited to see how far you go in the Championship Tournament."

You respond with either

a) There's still one more gym I have to visit

b) I thought I needed 8 gym badges...

At that, Kayla sighs. "Oh yeah...that. I'm gonna be honest with you, there's no need to be that worried about getting that last badge. It's not going to be a proper battle and with the way you are now, you'll have no problem defeating the pokemon in the next town. But enough about that, how about I see you off? I always make sure to see any trainer that defeats me off."

You agree and let Kayla walk with you outside. Once out of the gym, you ask what she meant by the final gym not having a proper battle.

"Let's just say that the gym leader there...isn't as dedicated to his job as he should be. Hopefully Elsie can get him to see that there's more to gym leaders and other trainers in the league than just waiting for people to battle. Anyway, good luck in the rest of your journey."