7

You proceed to the next route, which seems like a haunted forest of sorts, filled with ghost and dark type pokemon. The one that seems to catch your eye the most is the Holonian Buneary that you see from time to time.

 The one that seems to catch your eye the most is the Holonian Buneary that you see from time to time

Finally you make it through the route and reach Oreson City.

Once you enter, a Haunter appears right in front of you, sticking its tongue out playfully at you

Once you enter, a Haunter appears right in front of you, sticking its tongue out playfully at you. Though startled a bit at the sudden appearance, you don't think the Haunter was actually trying to do any harm.

"Hey Haunter, you're only allowed to scare residents here, not visitors." a voice calls not too far from the ghost type pokemon. Both you and the Haunter turn to see a boy running towards you. The boy has messy white hair and yellow eyes, wearing a black tattered shirt and dark brown pants. The Haunter goes over to the boy, licking his face and in response, the boy laughs and pats his head before turning to you.

"Sorry about that newcomer." he says with a grin. "The ghost types here are really curious about people who come to visit here so they have a bit of trouble reeling in their excitement. They really mean no harm. Just looking for someone new to play games with."

He soon notices the badges that you've earned up until this point. "Oh, so you're a gym challenger huh? That's interesting. Some people are a bit scared to come here. Whoops...look at me just rambling on and we haven't properly introduced ourselves. I'm Lucas, Oreson City's gym leader. And you are..."

You introduce yourself to Lucas and he smiles again.

"[Name] huh? I think I remember some of the others mentioned you from time to time. From what I've heard, you're a pretty strong trainer. If that's the case, my little ghost friends at the gym are going to love to meet you and your pokemon." Lucas says. "Why don't you come to the center of town when you're ready to take on my gym?"

He walks off with the Haunter following him and after making all the necessary preparations, you follow his instructions and go to the center of the town. There you see the Haunter that you met when first entering the town floating around a well. When Haunter sees you, it comes closer, holding out its hand as if it wanted you to take it. 

Slowly you take the Haunter's hand and it grins. Before you can react, Haunter picks you up and drops you into the well. You land in front of what looks like a small haunted house, where Lucas is waiting for you at the front door.

"Didn't think a well would lead to a small haunted house underground huh?" he asks with a grin. "Get used to little scares here and there while you're here cause my challenge is full of them. So...all you have to do is explore my little haunted house here and come find me. Of course some things may try to scare you to throw you off your path so be careful about that. Anyway good luck~"

Lucas suddenly disappears and you enter into the small haunted house. It's maze like- each door you come across taking you to a different room. The closer you get to the end, the more weird stuff starts happening in the rooms that you enter. Lights flicker on and off, furniture starts moving about on it's own, even a glass vase flies off the shelf it was on, shattering right behind you.

Eventually you reach what looks like a master bedroom. You enter and you see Lucas there, sitting on a bed as he pets a Mimikyu. He notices you and smiles before standing.

"Looks like you made it. And you seem to be a little less pale than other challengers that went through my haunted house. You must have a lot of courage then. But now that you've played with everyone else here, I hope you're ready for one last game with me and my team."

The battle begins

Lucas' Team

Misdrevus (Ability: Levitate) Magical Leaf, Power Gem, Hex, Lucky Chant

Dusclops (Ability: Pressure) Shadow Punch, Confuse Ray, Shadow Sneak, Payback

Haunter (Ability: Levitate) Confuse Ray, Night Shade, Dark Pulse, Shadow Punch

When the battle ends, Lucas grins before congratulating you. "Well, looks like you won the game. Here's your prize; the Ghost Badge."

After giving you your fifth badge, he then asks. "Hey...ever wondered why us gym leaders focus on just one type? Trust me when I say that it just isn't because we're supposed to specialize in one type. All of have our different reasons. For me, I wanted people to see the more playful and friendly side of ghost types. I'm sure you've been filling up your pokedex quite a bit right. You've noticed how with a lot of ghost types, their entries usually talk about how they want to steal souls or hunt down children and all that jazz. Well...I wanna show the world that not all of them are like that. Not all ghost are out for revenge or destroying things, they just have their own way of having fun and some just don't understand that. Guess you can say I wanna be like the guys on Sharpedo Week for ghost types. I already got everyone in this city to understand them a bit more so the next step is trying to reach out to trainers that come my way. So how about make a friend with some of my little buddies here and bring them along on your team before heading off to Tria City? I'm sure that they'll be a big help to you."

It's then that the Haunter from before appears.

"Ah, there you are Haunter. Bring our friend back outside will ya? I'm sure that they'll want to continue their journey pretty soon."

Haunter nods before carrying you out of the gym.