Seeking Hope: Prologue

Seeking Hope

 Prologue

They say life’s not fair. Life is just one damned thing after another. Life is divided into the horrible and the miserable. Life is just like a bowl of pits.

 But to me? Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Life is something that everyone should try at least once. Life is pleasant. We make a living by what we get then make a life by what we give. ‘Look for the good’ my parents always told me. ‘Work hard at anything and you can achieve it.’ I still stand by that today, and I think being a good person is what counts.

My parents are very successful people. My dad is the owner of this company where they build cars and sell them for a good cause. My mom is also the leader of her business. She’s a chef and owns a 5 star restaurant in New York City. My family and I live in the city of New York and yeah. Were rich. But to us, money doesn’t buy happiness. As long as we have each other that’s all we’ll ever need. My parents always encouraged me to pursue my dreams and chase it until I reached it. My parent’s are also strict though, they always want me getting good grades and focus on my education and music and my dreams. Other than that, I just chill like a regular kid.

3 months ago, my mom wanted to try something new. As much as she loved her business, she wanted to try something smaller. I didn’t really understand as I thought everything she ever wanted was here, apparently not. 2 months later she told my dad and me that she opened up another restaurant, but in a small town outside of Chicago, about 2 hours away from there. Everything was set and organized, she already had employees and the place was already decked out. She wanted it to make it official by moving there. My dad was against the idea as he also felt everything we needed was here and it be just a waste of time. The place was doing pretty good their in business, but they needed my mom’s help. She couldn’t do anything considering she was on the other side of the country, so she was about to call a quits and shut the whole thing down. Like I said, my parents always encouraged me to pursue my dreams and chase it until I reached it. This is her dream, and I refuse to let her throw it away.

So my mom and I packed up our things and left. We said our goodbyes to our family and friends and wished us the best for the life ahead us. See that’s the thing. No matter how much it hurts or how much it sucks, their will always be times in life were you will sacrifice things for the people you love and care about. Even if it means starting over as the new kid in town. Fun… My dad was upset by the thought of us leaving; his business is pretty tight at the moment so he couldn’t come with us. But he’s a busy man who is also living out his dreams. He’s also a great dad. I’m sure we’ll keep in touch pop.

As I step outside of the car from our very long trip from New York City to a small town outside of Chicago, I look around and take note of where my life would be for the next few months. The wind was blowing, just slightly. Oh wait, I forgot to tell you. My name’s Mike. Mike Adams. I’m a 16-year-old guy who is easy going and considerate… even though I like to joke off most of the time.  I like music, I like food and I like girls. “So this is where my journey begins.” I thought to myself out loud.