14

---<3---

---<3---

The sun was shining by the time Gunner drove outside Houston, giving off a magical atmosphere across the highway and the nature next to it. Sitting down in his seat, he had one hand against the window holding his head up while the other one drove the car. A pair of dark sunglasses and a wrinkle between his eyebrows, plus a grave and almost angry appearance, made Athena tense up in the seat next to the biker. She knew that look all too well.

The car smelled of oil and masculine aromas, and it was relatively cleaned. Gunner had been washing his car once a week to keep the feeling of control. In the back seat, he had his emergency bag and first aid kit. Below Gunner's lather seat was a gun for special occasions. You never know when you need to use it as a biker for an MC. For ten years, Gunner had wondered why his parents had thrown him out, and now can be the opportunity to get the answer to it. He hadn't traveled back to his hometown since the day he left. Thinking about going back made Gunner tense and angry. The city held lots of memories, and some of them weren't something he wanted to relive again.

"Where are we going exactly?" Athena said after sitting in silence for at least ten minutes more of seeing Gunner huff and mumble for himself. Gunner rolled his shoulder to get him out of his memories before answering the beautiful girl beside him.

"Salt lake city, it is about twenty-two and a half hours there," Gunner answered with his dark voice that was a bit raspy. He hadn't said a word since he spoke to J and Maddox. He had just exchanged a few sentences with them. Athena looked at the strong man beside her with a worried gaze. She knew this would be hard for him but seeing him this tense did worry her.

"How are we traveling?" Athena pressed out. Gunner had planned the route the evening before and had pointed out a motel they would stop by. Bending down a little, still with his eyes glued to the highway, he took a grip of the map he had observed and marked out the route.

"The red marks are the route, and the blue one is the motel we will sleep at," Gunner said while giving the map to Athena. She unfolded it and looked over it. The motel was just outside Albuquerque. While Athena studied the way, Gunner watched her from the side of his eyes. He was so thankful to have her with him, and he hoped that this could be a trip where he convinced her to stay with him, at least for a while.

"If you require, we can change seats sometime over the trip," She announced after some scanning over the map. Gunner smiled a little.

"If you want to, although I don't have anything against driving. I need the distraction," Gunner expressed and cast a glance at the woman who had taken a grip of his heart. Athena, on the other hand, nodded shortly and looked away. She felt the change in his eyes now when he looked at her. Since the kiss they shared, she could feel the shift between them.

"Are you okay to meet them?" Athena asked low, even if she knew the answer. Gunner gave off a humorless chuckle. He had a sickening feeling growing inside him. It was like a stone lying heavy in his stomach when he saw the message from his sister. Now that stone had moved up to his chest, making breathing a little challenging and Gunner was craving something to fog the feeling.