1

---<3---

---<3---

On a plane somewhere over the ocean from Sweden to Houston

Everything had happened so quickly. One moment she had been in Stockholm, relaxing with her family and having a great time with good food and company. The next moment she was on a plane up in the air on her way to a city on the other side of the world, Houston, scared to never see her family again. Athena let the events of the last day play over and over in her mind trying to find what had gone wrong. She didn't even know if her family was still alive anymore, the thought made a headache travel from her neck and up to her forehead. She had never been so scared in her life, even if she knew she needed to put on her brave face and do whatever to stay alive. If they were alive, she didn't know if she could meet them again, ever. The only thing her dad had told her was to get on the next plane possible and as far away as achievable. The last thing Athena had seen of her childhood home was smoke rising to the sky as black shadows, flames danced in the wind like bright demons ready to eat her home. In Athena's mind, the shadows laughed at her as the mafia's daughter fled like a coward. All her life she had trained to never be scared and to laugh at the face of danger, but her family had screamed at her to get away as fast as they saw the invaders. She had tried to stay, she had even picked up one of the guns but her dad had taken a harsh group of her shoulders and shaken her like she was a crazy woman to him. It didn't matter how much Athena told them that she could, they wouldn't let her stay and fight with them. Even her supportive brother who always sided with her had given her one last pained look as he told her to listen to their dad.

Athena focused her gaze forward as she desperately tried to force the fog in her mind to disappear. She held a plastic mug in her hand with yellow liquid swirling around as she made a rotational movement with her hand. It was the only way to distract her thoughts right now. Paralyzed, Athena watched the centre of the vortex she was creating. She shook her head a bit when she felt her heartbeat relax, before putting the glass carefully against her lips to take a sip of the strong-tasting substance, welcoming the burning as it came down with ease.

What should I do now? Athena thought to herself with a sight putting the plastic mug down on the small plastic table. She had only packed the few things she could reach the moment she packed. Her dad had been behind her with a gun high in the air making sure whoever was attacking didn't make their way to his daughter. Athena only got two hoodies, one extra pair of jeans, a random book lying on the kitchen counter, and a couple of five hundred kroner bills. All this under the sounds of guns and screams. Athena had changed the Swedish money to the dollar she needed for her new life in America. America, the place she only had seen through movies and newspapers. Sure, Athena had travelled a lot with her family but most of the places were Europe. At first, she had planned to move to Spain or maybe Germany but she would need to wait at least six hours for either and that was enough time to hunt her down. Either way, her English was better than the Spanish or German she spoke.