Battle Scars

Short chapter as I really don't enjoy writing about this stuff, but thanks for the request, Hailey.

⚠️ Trigger Warning ⚠️

Requests are welcome x
Hope you enjoy :)

***

It was just a regular old day on Dragon's edge. Astrid and Heather were cooking dinner, the Twins were testing their weapons on each other's head. Snotlout was sleeping in the corner and Fishlegs was looking through his notes on the Dragon Eye.

"Hey, Hiccup." Heather greeted as he entered the clubhouse. "Would you mind chopping some carrots for me?"

"Uhh... Sure." Hiccup walked around the table until he was stood beside his girlfriend.

She handed him the carrots before continuing to cut the other vegetables. He began chopping the carrots.

Astrid noticed his hands beginning to shake. He paused, staring down at nothing in particular. He gulped as his hand trembled.

"Hiccup? Are you okay?" Astrid took the knife and placed it on the table before grasping his hands to stop them from shaking. He shook out of his thoughts and looked up at her. Nothing but love and concern on her face.

He looked towards his dragon who nodded in understanding, before looking back at Astrid. He bolted out of the clubhouse, jumping on Toothless and flying to a small cove, similar to the one on Berk where he had trained Toothless.

"Hiccup?!" Heather called.

"Don't..." Astrid said, understanding exactly what was going on.

The riders all looked in confusion.

"Geez, who yakked in his mutton?" Tuff asked before being hit on the head with a mace.

***

Astrid landed a few yards away from the entrance of the cove and looked down. What she saw was... odd.

Hiccup stood at the edge of the pond, his feet dipped in. He was shirtless, which Astrid was secretly admiring. Suddenly he removed a dagger from his armored sleeve and tossed it into the pond.

Toothless nudged his rider's arms, turning them over. Multiple scars lined his arms, most pale and some dark. Astrid gasped in shock at what she saw. She slapped her hand over her mouth. It was too late. The Night Fury's ears perked up.

"It's ok, Bud. It's just Astrid." Hiccup gently patted his dragon's head in reassurance.

"How did you...?" Astrid said softly as she approached. Hiccup slowly spun round with his arms across his stomach, covering up even more scars, though those were of a different kind.

"You're Astrid. You always find me."

"And I always will." She said as she grasped his hand and moved it away from his abdomen. She turned his arms over, Hiccup tried his best to look away.

"Hiccup..."

"I'm fine, Astrid." He tried to pull his arms away but Astrid grasped them. She gently lifted Hiccup's chin until their eyes met, she brushed the brunette's bangs away. Hiccup's eyes filled with tears, he never meant for her to see him like this. Astrid let go of the brunette's wrists and began to remove her forearm sleeves, dropping them on the ground, revealing scars of her own. Hiccup could no longer hold back his tears. He had no idea.

"No, you're not." Astrid knew the feeling all too well. She took Hiccup's hands in her own, revealing both their scars.

"It was a long time ago." Hiccup pulled his hands away and shook his head. "But every time I have a dagger in my hand, it takes me right back."

"I get it, Hiccup. But you're stronger than I've ever been."

"What are you talking about? You're stronger than all of us combined!"

"Hiccup, I have just watched you do the one thing I have never been brave enough to do."

Astrid walked over to Stormfly and reached into her saddlebag, returning with a dagger in her hand. She looked at the dagger then towards the pond. She paused for a second before throwing the dagger into the water.

"You don't have to go through this alone anymore," Astrid reassured, pulling Hiccup closer and pressed their lips together, gently. "I'm with you. Always."