Distractions

I'm aware that I changed some details in the timeline. Don't be picky 😂

Requests are welcome x
Hope you enjoy :)

***

Astrid awoke to empty arms. It was unusually hot for an island like Berk. She gently rolled over to see Hiccup laying inches away, though it seemed like miles. He was facing the opposite direction, but clearly awake. The blonde shuffled closer and her arm snaked around the brunettes waist. Hiccup flinched before placing his arm over Astrid's.

'Morning, Sleepy Head.' He whispered, tracing circles on the back of Astrid's hand.

He rolled over in Astrid's arms. The blonde gently swept his bangs away and cupped his cheek.

'Did you get any sleep?' She asked, noticing the sleepy look on her boyfriends face.

Hiccup nodded. 'Some.' He admitted. 'I woke up a few hours ago.'

'UGH...' The couple quickly sat up to see the others waking up, Snotlout of course complaining. 'Why is it so hot?!'

'Snotlout... YOU'RE ON FIRE!' Hiccup shouted.

Snotlout immediately stood up and ran around the arena, screaming.

Everyone laughed as he realized that he had pranked him. The twins began to wonder about their friend. Had they just found someone to pass their Loki wisdom too.

***

The group all sat in the arena after breakfast, fanning themselves with their hands as the intense heat beckoned.

'Hey, I've got an idea.' Fishlegs suggested. 'Why don't we go to the beach?'

Nobody wasted a second, they all jumped up grabbing their bags. Astrid grabbed Hiccup's hand and pulled him off the ground before they all ran towards the beach.

Astrid suddenly found herself pulled back as she hit the sand. She spun around to see the brunette staring blankly at the sea, glistening in the sunlight, stood at the very edge of the grass, tightening his grip on the blonde's hand. The others had all removed their boots, armor and helmets and rushed into the cool waters.

'Hiccup?' Astrid asked. 'You okay?'

'Yeah.' He said, finally looking at his girlfriend. 'I'm just gonna hang back here, you go have fun.' He gestured to the others.

'You sure?' Astrid asked, looking a little concerned. Hiccup nodded. With that the blonde gave him a quick kiss on the forehead before removing her boots and shoulder pads and walking to her friends.

She hesitated as she reached the edge of the waves, looking back to the young boy who had sat himself at the very edge of the grass, his legs tucked into his chest, drawing on the sand in front of him with a stick.

'Hey, Astrid...' Heather came over to check on her. 'You okay?'

'Heather, something's not right.' She explained, gesturing to her boyfriend.

'He's probably just tired.' She explained, after all he hadn't exactly been taking it easy.

'No...' Astrid refused to look away from the future chief. 'It's more than that.' She whispered. 'I'll be right back.'

Heather watched as she walked away, before rejoining her friends.

Hiccup was focused on his drawing, he didn't react when Astrid came and sat by his side.

'Hey...' Astrid gently placed her hand on the brunette's shoulder, only then did he let out a sigh and pause his drawing. 'Talk to me...'

'About what?' Hiccup asked, resuming his task.