Family Ties

This Oneshot takes place at the very end of HTTYD 2.

Hope you enjoy :)

***

Astrid and Stoick had always gotten along great. She was the daughter he always hoped for. He was the father she never knew. It wasn't surprising, Astrid being the fearless, invincible warrior she was, of course, Stoick loved her. She just hoped Hiccup's mother would feel the same way.

She walked over to her boyfriend, who had just defeated Drago and his alpha, with the help of his Night Fury. She placed a hand on his chest plate, above his heart.

"See... I told you it was in here." She quickly pressed the button on his flight suit, causing the fin to pop out behind him. The village all let out a chuckle.

"Haha, still pulling that one. That's hilarious." Hiccup rolled his eyes sarcastically. He grabbed Astrid's waist. "Come here you!" He pulled her close, drawing a quiet squeak from her lips, and kissed her soundly, not caring that the entire village was watching.

Valka had already assumed that she was the girl her son had told her about. First, her loving support for Hiccup after the loss of his father. Then, her distraught reaction to Hiccup being encaged in ice just moments before. It was undeniable. She loved him. But Valka couldn't help but smile at how grown up her son was. The last time she had seen him, he was just a baby. Now he was chief, he had a fiance and not to mention, he was the greatest dragon trainer in and outside the archipelago.

They broke the kiss and found themselves lost in each other's eyes for a brief moment. Green eyes locked onto blue. Their attention was drawn to Gothi as she tapped Hiccup's shoulder with her staff. He looked towards her, then back to his girlfriend. Astrid smiled and nodded in reassurance. With that, he followed the village elder and knelt before her.

Valka made her way to her son's future wife, though Astrid was too focused on her boyfriend's chiefly initiation to notice.

Hiccup rose to his feet, well foot, and turned to his people. They all cheered in celebration of their new leader. Astrid jumped into Hiccup's arms, with the biggest smile on her face.

"I'm so proud of you." She whispered. Her smile quickly faded as she broke the hug to see the empty expression on Hiccup's face. Astrid smiled sadly. "Let's get you home." Hiccup shook his head in disagreement before taking her hand and leading her towards his mother, who was stood petting her Stormcutter, a sharp class dragon.

Astrid's heart jumped into her throat as a million thoughts raced through her mind. She subconsciously tightened her grip on Hiccup's hand and pulled him back, causing him to turn to her, stumbling over his prosthetic leg.

"Astrid? What is it? What's the matter?"

"I..." She stuttered nervously. She looked towards Valka then back to the ground, desperately avoiding eye contact with Hiccup. "What if she doesn't like me?" Hiccup let out a small chuckle and placed a kiss on his girlfriend's head.

"Astrid, she's gonna love you. How could she not?" He asked rhetorically. She nodded and allowed Hiccup to lead her to Valka.

"Astrid this is my Mother. Mom, Astrid." He gestured between the two as Astrid clung tightly to his arm.

"So, this is the girl you've been telling me about?" Valka asked though it was more of a statement than a question.

"You told her about me?" Astrid looked up at her boyfriend who was blushing profusely, his free hand found its way into the back of his hair.

"I don't think he's capable of talking about anything else." Valka explained, much to her son's embarrassment. Now it was Astrid's turn to blush.

"It's lovely to meet you, Mrs. Haddock." Astrid offered her hand, while the other was still locked with Hiccups. Mrs. Haddock? What was that about? Why was she so nervous? Hiccup looked at his girlfriend in confusion. Who was this girl stood beside him, because it wasn't the fearless Astrid Hofferson he had come to know. No, this was a new Astrid. A quaking, nervous wreck of an Astrid. He was rather concerned about his girlfriend's out-of-character behavior, but couldn't help smiling at this new adorable side of her.

"Please, call me Valka." She shook Astrid's hand. Her skin was warm to the touch. Valka was clearly just as nervous to meet Astrid as she was about meeting her.

"Excuse us for a moment." Hiccup said to his mother as he pulled Astrid away. "Okay, who are you and what have you done with Astrid?" He asked. Astrid didn't respond and just folded her arms and looked towards the ground. "Astrid, what's wrong?" He panicked. Astrid let out a sigh, closing her eyes. "Astrid?" She shook her head, but the tears she was holding back didn't go unnoticed. This was a side to Astrid that Hiccup had never seen before. She bolted out of Hiccup's arms and headed straight for Stormfly, who immediately took to the skies.

"Astrid?!" Hiccup shouted before rushing to Toothless only to be halted by his mother.

"Hiccup, let me talk to her." She said, placing her hand on his shoulder. He opened his mouth to protest but seeing the glare he was receiving from his mother, he soon changed his mind. It was a glare he often received from Astrid and Heather. He knew he didn't really have a choice. He nodded, letting out a sigh. Valka smiled at him before mounting her dragon and flying in the same direction as Astrid.

***

Astrid was sitting on a nearby sea stack, the same one she often found Hiccup on. Stormfly was curled by her side while she was snapping a large twig and throwing the pieces over the edge, into the ocean below.

"Astrid? Are you okay?" Valka asked as Cloudjumper landed behind the blonde and her Nadder. Astrid turned her head slightly and nodded before returning her attention to the twig she was taking her frustrations out on. Valka sat beside her and she paused. "Hiccup said you were close. You and Stoick?" Valka asked. Astrid sighed. She loved her adoptive parents, but Stoick understood her in a way only a father could. She tucked her knees to her chest, choosing to ignore Valka's previous question.

"It's okay to cry, Astrid." Valka explained, placing a hand on the blonde's shoulder.

"I don't cry!" Astrid stated. There's the warrior Hiccup had been talking about. But Valka was as stubborn as her son and was clearly not fooled.

"Of course not." She agreed. She smiled sadly as she noticed Astrid clearly fighting back an ocean of tears. "But I won't tell anyone if you need to let it out." She reassured. Hiccup had told her that Astrid never showed her vulnerable side, so she found this an honor. "I know I'm not Stoick. But you are clearly very important to Hiccup, so you are very important to me. I'm here if you ever need to talk." Astrid shook her head, wiping a tear she had involuntarily allowed to fall, hoping Valka hadn't noticed.

"I can't." She sniffled.

"You want to be strong for Hiccup, I get that. But you're allowed to grieve too. It's okay to miss Stoick."

Astrid couldn't take it anymore and began sobbing hysterically. Valka held her close and rocked her back and forth as her face flooded with tears. Her breathing became fast and shallow.

"Astrid, dear. You still have to breathe." Valka stroked her hair and rubbed circles on her back to comfort her as she melted into her arms.