Scarred

This is set during RTTE. Hiccup and Astrid are dating. Thank you to Hailey for the request.

Not my best, as it was written at my parent's house, so there were a lot of distractions. I may rewrite it someday.

Requests are welcome.

Hope you enjoy :)

***

Berk, boasting the kind of balmy, fun-in-the-sun climate that will give you frostbite on your spleen. So you can imagine how surprising it was to wake up to the blistering heat on Dragon's Edge.

The boys had all removed their shirts, the girls removed their armor. Hiccup had given the riders the day off and sent them to the beach.

Hiccup was in his hut working on improvements for Dragon Fly 2.0. The future chief was sat at his desk, chewing the end of his pencil as he studied his blueprints. His right arm draped across his lap, his index finger tracing a large scar across his abdomen. He let out a sigh before heading to the basin across the room.

He splashed some water on his face and chest, in an attempt to cool down. Needless to say, it didn't work. He closed his eyes, resting his hands on the desk. A few seconds passed before he felt his Night Fury's nose press against his side, followed by a concerned warble. Toothless was pretty good at interpreting his rider's facial expressions, almost as if he could hear Hiccup's thoughts.

"Hey, Bud." He said, wiping a tear he hadn't noticed was falling. He placed his hand on his dragon's head in reassurance.

He stood for a few minutes, thinking about the memory behind each scar that marked his skin. None of them good.

He was shaken out of his thoughts when Toothless jumped behind him. He spun round to see Astrid stood by the door, with her Nadder, smiling in his direction. She felt bad that Hiccup was up here working, missing all the fun.

"Astrid?! Hi, Astrid!" He panicked, reaching for his tunic, using it to cover his front as quickly as he could. He was just grateful that Toothless thought to shield him from Astrid's view. "Uh... H-how long have you..." He hesitated. "What are you doing here?"

"Sorry, I just came to check in." She explained, walking towards him. He backed away slowly as she approached, which only made her worry. He was hiding something. "Hiccup? What's going on with you?" He sighed.

Astrid finally reached her auburn-haired boyfriend, who had backed himself against the wall. He looked away, ashamed, before taking a deep breath and lowering his hand, dropping his tunic to the ground, revealing his scars. Astrid's eyes opened wide as she looked him over, examining every mark. He sighed at her silence.

"I didn't mean for you to see me like this." Hiccup stated, wrapping his arms around him in an attempt to hide, still avoiding eye contact.

"I'm your girlfriend. You didn't seriously think you could hide it forever?" She asked.

"I just didn't want you to think I was weak." She smiled at him.

"Hiccup..." She said softly, taking his hand. Something about her voice was oddly comforting. He opened his eyes and turned to the blonde as his hand landed on her stomach, beneath her shirt. Her skin was hot to the touch, she had clearly been sat in the sun.

His index finger rested on a rough piece of skin. He gave a slight smile as he realized what she was doing. He began to trace the scar as she removed her shirt to reveal several battle scars she had collected over the years. Leaving her in her bindings. She had a lot more scars than Hiccup, but that wasn't surprising. Hiccup looked away. Astrid loved that he was so respectful of her. Only he would be that considerate. She rolled her eyes playfully, before turning his head back towards her. "You are not weak."

"Why didn't you tell me?" He sniffled, holding back the tsunami of tears in his eyes as he traced the scar on her shoulder.

"Why didn't you?" She asked. Hiccup slowly dropped his hand, looking away. "Hiccup, every scar is one more thing that you survived. You're still here, despite everything you have been through. You are stronger than you realize. That's what I see." She wiped the tear that had managed to slide down his cheek before his arm snaked around her waist, pulling her into a kiss. Their dragons both averted their eyes at the public display of affection. They broke the kiss, resting their heads together.

"You should get back." Hiccup whispered. As much as he was enjoying some alone time with Astrid, he knew the others would come looking for her soon enough.

"You mean we should get back." He would recognize that glare anywhere. He had no choice, she wasn't going to take no for an answer. She quickly threw on her shirt and reached for Hiccup's tunic. She threw it to him but was shocked when he threw it over his shoulder and grabbed her by the hand. He had a new sense of pride in his scars. He was never worried about the riders finding his scars since they caused many of them. But, now Astrid had seen them and given them a whole new meaning, he wasn't so ashamed anymore. Astrid smiled up at him before they rushed out of the hut, towards the beach, shortly followed by their dragons.

***

Heather smirked, knowingly as she saw the couple arrive. She watched Astrid's cheeks turn pink, as they joined their friends in the ocean. Of course, Tuffnut and Snotlout just had to mention their leader's scarred body, but they soon changed the subject after receiving the death glare from Hiccup, Astrid, and their dragons. Hiccup wrapped his arm around Astrid's waist and kissed her temple.

"I love you, Astrid Hofferson."