Nightmare

Set during RTTE. The night after Astrid almost drowned. Hiccup and Astrid are dating.

Running out of ideas!

Requests are welcome x
Hope you enjoy :)

***

Hiccup awoke to the sound of Astrid's groans, coming from the corner of the room. They must have only been asleep for an hour or so.

Living alone for so long, night times were usually silent, making Hiccup a very light sleeper.

He slowly rubbed his eyes and looked over to see the blonde Viking shaking. She had managed to roll herself on top of the blankets. Hiccup gave a lazy smirk before heading towards the sleeping blonde, using his own blanket to cover her up. Hiccup returned to his chair, blanketless. Thankfully, he was warmed by the heat of the fire.

***

A loud cry escaped Astrid's lips, as her eyes flung open, sitting up so fast, the room began to spin, before scooting back. It was still dark, the fire was still lit, but beginning to fade. She assumed it was around 2 am.

Hiccup jumped awake at the noise. His head spun towards the blonde Viking who was staring at the foot of the bed, with wide eyes, gasping for breath.

'Astrid?' Hiccup immediately ran to her side to comfort her.

Astrid was never one to show her vulnerable side, most people didn't realize she had one. However, this was different.

She raised her hand out to the side trying to find Hiccup's, her eyes still fixed on that same spot.

Hiccup grabbed her hand and sat on the edge of the bed, above the blanket he had covered her with, tracing circles on the back of her hand with his thumb. Astrid's skin was ice cold, despite the sweat dripping down her forehead.

'Bad dream?' Hiccup whispered.

Astrid closed her eyes and nodded, still shivering, partly from the cold and partly out of fear. 'Sorry.' she whispered.

'Don't be.' Hiccup reassured, tightening his grip on Astrid's hand. 'I know what it's like to get scared, Astrid.' Astrid looked away, feeling slightly embarrassed. 'And I get why you are trying so hard to hide it...'

Astrid tightened her grip on Hiccup's hand.

'...You think fear is a sign of weakness...' Astrid looked up at Hiccup. '... It shows your vulnerable side...' Astrid looked away again. 'Your secret's safe with me.' Hiccup tightened his grip on Astrid's hand and used his sleeve to wipe the blonde's forehead.

Astrid could feel her anxiety lifting, knowing that his statement was true, after all, this was Hiccup. She couldn't explain it, but something about him, made her feel safer than ever before.

Nobody had ever seen this side of her and hearing her boyfriend telling her that she could be herself and not have to worry about judgment, caused a tear to roll down her cheek.

She loosened her grip on Hiccup's hand and wriggled it free, before quickly turning to hug the brunette Viking.

Hiccup paused for a moment before returning the hug. He hadn't expected that reaction. He wasn't used to hugging her like this.

Astrid gently backed out of the hug, running her hands along Hiccup's neck. 'You're so warm!' She stated, turning her hands over again and again.

Hiccup giggled. 'Having fun there?' He had been asleep by the fire, so it made sense.

'How are you so warm?' Astrid added, placing her hands on hiccup's cheeks, then forehead, then chest. Her fingers and lips still a slight shade of blue. She laid her head back against the pillows, curling up to Hiccup.

Hiccup looked at her rather concerned before placing the back of his hand across Astrid's forehead.

'Astrid, you have a fever!' Hiccup gasped.

Astrid shuddered.

'Here...' Hiccup backed up, causing Astrid to groan sleepily in protest. Hiccup giggled, lifting the blanket and sliding back beside her.

'What if I'm contagious?' Astrid backed up slightly.

'Then it looks like I'm catching it.' Hiccup explained, placing a gentle kiss on her forehead.

Astrid smiled and nuzzled into him, she gently looked up towards the brunette, leaning on her elbow.

Hiccup could see the question in her eyes and nodded in agreement.

Astrid smiled and gently placed her head on Hiccup's chest and her hand across his abdomen. She could feel his body heat, much warmer than before, even through his tunic. Impossibly warm.

***

Astrid slowly awoke in the early hours of the morning, not feeling much better than she had the night before. Although she was feeling much warmer, she had a rather sore throat and her nose was stuffy, her head throbbing. She rubbed her eyes and rolled over to see Hiccup already cooking breakfast over the fire. She could hear the storm whistling outside.

'Morning, sleepyhead.'  Hiccup teased, remaining rather quiet, assuming Astrid was feeling rather, bleh.

Astrid rolled her eyes and smiled, before sitting up. Bad idea. She winced in pain as she placed a hand on her temple.

'Here...' Hiccup handed her a mug of freshly made tea, before returning to finish serving up breakfast.

'Thanks.' Astrid accepted the drink gratefully, sounding as groggy as she felt.

Astrid placed her drink on the coaster on the nightstand as Hiccup placed a tray on her lap. She looked down to see the plate filled with food, causing her stomach to growl, a small Rose, sitting in the corner of the tray.

'You didn't have to...'

'Astrid, you're my girlfriend ...' Hiccup interrupted. '... Will you please let me play host?'

Astrid smiled.

Hiccup giggled as Astrid began shoveling her omelete into her mouth.

'Astrid, chew!' Hiccup advised, a few seconds too late as Astrid began coughing.

Hiccup raced to Astrid, patting her on the back.

Astrid took a sharp intake of breath. 'Thanks.' Was all she said before continuing to stuff her face.

'Astrid, chew!' Hiccup rolled his eyes as he continued to clean up. 'You have to chew or you'll choke!' He chuckled.

Hiccup finished cleaning up the breakfast dishes and went into the bathroom to change.

Astrid refused to leave the warmth of the bed, noticing she now had two blankets, instead of one. She began to think back to earlier that morning, realizing that the second blanket was already wrapped around her before her nightmare had woken her up. Hiccup had given up his blanket to keep her warm.

Hiccup returned. Astrid looked up at him with confusion.

'Babe...?' She lifted the blanket and gestured to it, trying not to talk as her throat was incredibly sore.

Hiccup smiled at his nickname. 'You were shaking.' He explained. 'And somehow managed to roll on top of your blanket.'

'You should've just woken me up.' She explained as Hiccup began his morning sketch.

'Nah, you were so sleepy.' Hiccup declined, as he finished the basic outline and began adding detail. 'Besides, you looked too adorable to disturb.'

Astrid blushed. Nobody had ever made her blush.