♫12♫ The baton is passed

All of their hopes to get into the Nationals were now on Hiyoshi's shoulders. The young martial-artist looked reliable and strong in appearance, even Ranfa has confidence he will win. 

"Are you ready, Hiyoshi?" Ranfa made sure to warm him up for the match so there wouldn't be any injuries.

"Sakura, I don't need data on that chibi." 

"It's not like I have data on him. He's obviously good enough to be on reserve. Watch out."

"Hmph." 

What was this feeling? Why does she feel worried for Hyotei? 

She looked at Atobe and she can see he was still tired from the match before. She's not able to see his face but looking at his back, she was able to tell he was not happy.

'You now want to go up against Seigaku's Captain with his full strength, right? You're always aiming high...' She went down the steps to get to him. Once she's by his side, she gently tapped Atobe's shoulder with Gakuto's racquet, "Don't look so disappointed. I'm sure that guy will be able to pick up his racquet with his full strength in the future." 

"Ah. You're finally back..." 

"That's not the victory Senpai wanted, right?" She said as she watched Hiyoshi make his way to the tennis court. The cheers around them voiced their support for the 2nd year.

"You knew?" 

"I can tell when I looked at your back." 

"You observe people too much, Little Kitten." 

"I like watching stupid people. They amuse me." 

"You're a sadist..." Atobe tugged one end of the towel down and let it rest on his leg, "But that is fine..."

"Just one more game and we can all go home. Either we go back as the winners, or we go back as losers." 

"Ore-sama doesn't believe we will lose here." 

Their confidence of Hiyoshi was overturned by an unpredictable turn of event when he lost against Echizen Ryoma. The loss meant Hyotei will not be going to the Nationals. 

"Game set!! Won by Echizen! Game Count, 6-4!"

Ranfa and everyone went to check on the very exhausted Hiyoshi Wakashi to see that he couldn't get words out properly. The non-regulars were stunned in their places, unable to voice out their cheers. Honestly, no one predicted Hyotei would lose on the spot...

Watching the boys line up, Ranfa looked at their faces and she can see only her senpais looked forward with a straight face though Shishido had his eyes closed. Hiyoshi couldn't look straight; Choutarou cried, and Kabaji maintained his usual face. 

"Bow!"

"Thank you very much!!"

*Click*

With a click of his fingers, Atobe started off the Hyotei chant. 

Ranfa looked at Choutarou to see the tears were still trailing down his face. 

"Ootori, quit crying already." She handed him a pink hankerchief to dry the tears.

"B-but..." 

"There will be a next time."

"But the senpais..." 

"It's true that they will go but that's the whole point of passing the baton to you guys, isn't it?" She smiled at the tall 2nd year, "You all played a good game." She then slapped the back of Hiyoshi's head, "You too, how long are you going to look like that for? What's done is already done. Once you are done with self-moping, we'll go back and up the training regime." 

Hiyoshi was speechless because he doesn't understand why she's not disappointed one bit, especially with him. 

"It didn't mean you were weak. It means your opponent was at another level. Let's go back and claw your way up for next year." 

"Yes!" Hiyoshi doesn't know what it was but something about this girl made him believe in her words.

"Kabaji, you too." 

"Usu." 

The 3rd years looked at Ranfa and they too believe she will be of big help to the 2nd years who will lead Hyotei...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Things has gotten a lot quiter since their defeat by Seigaku. For now, Ranfa decided to use most of her time to help the regulars improve little by little. With determination, anything can be possible.

"Hmm..." She was alone in the 2nd year classroom so she can plan the training regime in peace. She decided not to bother going to the cafeteria because she was afraid she will end up kicking the female captain's butt again. 

"Hey, Sakura." She llooked up to see Atobe Keigo in his regular get up. 

"You're going to ask for a victory kiss?" 

"No. Ore-sama is not satisfied with that win." 

"I see. Then, you're here because...?" 

"Ore-sama wants you..." 

"Wah!" 

Mukahi Gakuto, Akutagawa Jirou, and Oshitari Yuushi all fell from their hiding spot beside the classroom's door. They were wondering where Atobe was going and they all guessed he came to personally hit on Ranfa!

Ranfa looked at them like morons before looking up at Atobe again, "Senpai, what was that you wanted?" 

"Ore-sama wants you to accept a rematch."

"Oh." Gakuto and Jirou honestly thought their captain was hitting on the manager.

Ranfa's surprised look then slowly changed to a confident smile, "This time, I will take the win from you! Don't stop the match like last time!"