Chapter 6:The Warmth In My Chest

Seren and Rem entered the village in a hurry, they could seen many people holding torches looking everywhere. They approached one villager who was heading in their direction.

Rem: Has something happened?

Villager: Yes many of the village children have gone missing, we've sent a search party but there's still no sigh of them.

Seren: Are we too late? 

Seren thought to himself, he turned his head frantically looking for any sigh of the children. He noticed a gap in a part of the fence leading into the forest. he remembered how the puppy had come from the same place.

Seren: Maybe they went there.

Seren said pointing at the fence. They rushed over to the fence. Rem looked for any sigh of a disturbance when something caught her eye.

Rem: Look!

Rem pointed at a nearby tree, there was a small hook on the trunk of the tree but nothing was on it.

Rem: The barrier has been broken.

Seren: And what does that entail?

Rem: It means that evil creatures of the witches creation known as mabeasts can enter the village. They're evil creatures that love purely to kill and eat.

IO: If the children are in the forest then we have no time to lose, we only have until mourning.

Seren: IO's right we must go now!

Rem: I'm not sure Seren, what if this is a diversion to distract our attention and leave miss Emilia less protected.

Seren: So you think we should stop now, go back to the mansion and increase security?! The kids are counting on us we can't let them down.

Rem: Seren.....

IO: Please Rem, those children mean a lot to many people, we can't just let them die.

Rem: ........ If you truly care about those children then, very well.

Seren turn toward the forest when he hears the sound of a heavy chain behind him. He turned to see Rem carrying a large mace know as a mourning star. He had many questions like where she'd been hiding it but that didn't matter right now.

Seren: Rem, is that a-

Rem: It's for protection.

Seren: I know, but still-

Rem: It's for protection.

He nodded as the two sprint head first into the forest.

Seren: So how do we plan to find the kids?

IO: I will handle that part, I'll use my magic to try and sense for their life force.

IO began to glow even brighter then usual, his bright red light lit up the night sky like a firework. After a few seconds IO went back to his normal state.

IO: This way!

IO said taking a right. Seren and Rem quickly followed. They ran in silence for a few minutes until they came upon a clearing. They could see many small forms lying on top of a hill in the center of the clearing.

Seren: The kids!

They ran up the hill kneeling down next to the children. Seren noticed a bite mark similar to his on each of them. Some on a leg, other on an arm. IO could feel that each bite had an evil curse inside.

Seren: This isn't good they've all been cursed.

Rem: I'll cast some healing magic. It won't cure the curses but it will ease the pain.