Double Date (Part 13)

Start from the beginning

"No, I mean...watching you two I could see how much you loved each other. It wasn't anything mushy." Tyler grimaced and placed his laced hands on top of his head. "I sound pathetic. But she would look at you and you could see it. And the way you spoke about her..." He dropped his hands. "Never mind."

"When was the last time you dated?" Donovan said.

Tyler snorted. "Too long. I'm getting to be a grouchy old man who only reads and gets annoyed with youngsters."

Donovan laughed. "Sounds like you need a girl. Want my help?"

"Does your wife have a sister?"

"No, but I have someone in mind."

*******

"A double date with the first guy I had a crush on and the first girl who didn't piss you off, this should be interesting," Carter said.

She stood in front of the bathroom mirroring, brushing out her hair.

"I think it will go well," Donovan said, crossing the room to her.

Carter raised an eyebrow at him but he didn't retract his statement. Without comment, he took the brush from her and continued to the task for her. She'd never told him but somehow he knew that she loved when he did this. Once it had been a source of shame that she was too weak to do it herself, but now it reminded her how much he cared for her.

"How did Kia respond to the offer?" Carter asked.

"She was surprised but interested. She said she'd been so busy lately that having a personal life had been pushed to the side."

Carter eyed his reflection. "Should I be worried that you could so easily contact her?"

Donovan ignored her pointed look. "If you think going through the case file we wrote up for the senator mission, tracking down our contact, not finding any info from that point then calling everyone connected to the senator to finally get a hold of her is easy, sure you should be worried."

Sightly embarrassed, Carter dropped her pointed look. "You did all that for Tyler, seems dedicated."

For a moment, Donovan didn't say anything as he tied back Carter's hair.

"He's one of the closest friends I've had outside of my brothers, you and Link. I know what it's like to feel alone, to want to share your life with someone, so if I can help him then I'm going to."

Carter rose and kissed Donovan gently.

"What was that for?" he asked.

"Because sometimes your FBI agent exterior makes me forget how kindhearted you are."

"You approve of tonight then?"

"I do, and I'll do whatever I can to make it work between them."

"Thank you."

When Carter and Donovan walked into the restaurant, Carter spotted Tyler right away. He stood up as they carved their way through the maze of tables to him. He'd dressed in a neat pair of slacks and a button-down shirt.

"I'm not going to lie," he said, sounding completely calm. "I think I might pass out from nervousness."

Carter laughed and put her hands on his shoulders inspecting him.

"You look great and you have nothing to worry about," she said. "Besides if you pass out, Donovan will distract Kia and I will pour water on you, she'll never know."

Tyler gave a tight laugh but Carter noticed that his shoulders relaxed. As they all went to sit, Carter received a text and glanced at it.

"Hi Carter, it's Kia. I'm outside the restaurant. Can you come meet me?"