Chapter four: Heatin up

Shelby's POV

"Today's the day, I got this, I got this" I say as I look in the mirror, I'm hella nervous for my first day in the studio, I've never been in the studio before and I'm worried about how I'll sound once I start recording, I take a deep breath and walk out my bathroom and pick up my notebook, I walk out my room and head out the door and into the car. As we drive to Empire I can't help but just admire the scene around me, how could I not though, it's beautiful down here but as beautiful as it is , it would be much better if my mom were here.

"Ms.Lyon we're here" says the driver, I smile and thank him before getting out, I walk up the stars and into the building, I look around and see all the awards and records fro my father which is hard to admire because did him leaving, I look over to the office area and walk over to the door, I see Luscious alto there with the rest of the people who work for him, I enter the room and instantly everyone's eyes fall on me, they all look confused till my father speaks up, " Shelby I'll be with you in a minute, just gotta wrap up this meeting" I nod and exit the area, as I walk back towards the front I see Cookie come in with a face of determination, she quickly sees me and says " hey baby, how you doin" I smile and say " could be better" she gives ma a sad smile and give me a quick hug before saying "well baby I gotta go, I gotta know some damn sense into your father about Jamal" with that she walks away and into the conference room, I laugh just wait for luscious, as I wait I watch as Cookie starts talking and the people at the table give her looks, I shake my head amused at her actions.

"Hey Shelby what are you doing here" I look over to see Andre and a women who I assume is his wife, "Hey Andre I thought you knew, I have studio time today" he nods remembering it, "Well good luck and hope you do well" he says with a smile but I look over to his wife and she looks like she's up to something, I just smile at them and they walk away, something is odd about those two. I look over to see my father and cookie heading off to his office and I follow them, I'm getting impatient waiting around for my father when he said come early, I follow them till I'm outside his office and I over hear then discussing Jamal.

"Are you out of yo damn mind, I told you I was gonna hook you up" I hear my father say, I then here cookie respond with "and I'm tellin you that's not enough, I want Jamal too" , ok now I'm confused I thought Jamal was on empire, I keep listening and I hear my father speak next, " You can't have him" that's weird, if he's not an artist then what can't cookie have him. I peek into the room, luckily the lady at the desk isn't here, "You messin with the wrong bitch luscious, I know things" my eyes widen as I hear that, what is he keeping that she knows, this is some good tea, I got to listen in but I'm caught by the lady at the desk coming back.

"Who are you" she says, I turn around and say " I'm luscious's daughter, I'm here for studio time" she looks at me puzzled, I guess she hadn't heard yet, she then moved past me and knocks on the door and before I can stop her she says " Luscious your daughter is here lurking" I roll my eyes and come into view of everyone, " Becky she's ok let her in" she moves away and lets me in, Luscious gestures for me to sit and wait, Cookie then moves away from the piano and grabs her things but not before saying "nice to see you Vernon", my father then says as she walks out " I never want him anyway" I look shocked but what shocked me more was what cookie said next, " I know" I look at my father and the guy named Vernon at the desk confused, my father sighs and looks at me, " So you couldn't wait could you" I shrug and say " I wanna make music not wait around" Luscious smiles and says " well let's go" I get up and we head downstairs and into the studio.

"Well Shelby why you got" Luscious says once we get into the studio, I just marvel at the sound board, I've always wanted on but we couldn't afford it, I turn back to my father and I see he has a small smile, I take look through my songs and see one that I wrote in the middle of the night the day after my mom died, I let out a breath and say " this one" I tell the audio engineer the synths and harmony I want and he lays It down, I go into the studio and I put my notebook down, I look over and I see Anika walk into the room and stand off the the side as my father sits down, the audio engineer tells me " when your ready Shelby" I take a deep breath and put my headphones on, I give him a thumbs up and see Luscious looking at me with such focus, I look at my notebook but Soon look up and close my eyes, I then start to sing (A/n Shelby is singing the song at the top, What is love by V Bozeman)