11. Lilith: Tug-Of-War

Start from the beginning

"What are you doing?" she put to him.

"Shhh. I'm hiding," he whispered exaggeratedly.

"From who?"

"Your sisters. They are far too good at this game. I feel like a mouse trying to hide from a pair of cats."

She wanted to laugh, but managed to stop herself. She still wasn't very happy with him, after his sneaking away from the dance to be with Kendall Moore. Alright, so she didn't have proof that that was where he had been, but did she need any? She knew Kendall Moore all too well.

"Why don't you join us, Lilith?" Tyler suggested, showing that boyish smile of his, the smile of one who could do no wrong. She had a feeling he used it often to get out of all sorts of trouble.

"No, thank you," she replied coolly, returning her attention to her book.

"I bet you know some good hiding places," he commented, lifting his head and showing a glint in his eye.

Lilith blinked, remembering the secret grove just a short distance from the eastern wall of the estate. As a child, she used to hide there when she needed a moment alone. Then as she grew older, it became a secret meeting place for her and Logan. Since their horrible parting, she hadn't been able to go back there. It had been a few years, but such memories did not just go away. "No, I do not," Lilith answered without meeting his eye.

Tyler cocked his chin at her. "You seem upset."

"I'm not upset."

"You've barely spoken to me these past few days."

"I have nothing to say."

"Oh, really?" He gave up his absurd position and began crossing the room towards her. "Because it seems to me as if you have plenty."

Before she could answer, they heard a squeal, and the twins barreled into the room, pouncing on Tyler's legs. Immediately, his expression did a switch as he enveloped an arm around each of them, laughing good-naturedly. "I surrender, I surrender!"

"You lost again!" Emma exclaimed in delight.

"I certainly did. Take pity on me, girls. I think I've had enough hide-and-seek for one day."

They pulled back, groaning and making disappointed faces.

"Cheer up. I was thinking of going into town - perhaps you girls would like to come with me?"

"We'd love to!" Emma answered readily. No surprise there, thought Lilith.

"Good. I'm tired of being indoors. I want to be outside among people, get some fresh air."

The two girls nodded, already on board. Tyler drew a slow breath, turning his gaze to their older sister. "How about you, Lilith? We've room in the carriage for one more."

I don't have to go. Wait, yes, I do. I'm responsible for the girls. With Viola always up for anything, and Emma ready to do anything he says ... I can't leave them alone with him. Reluctantly, she shut her book, putting it aside. "I'll go."

A few minutes later, Lilith found herself sitting in the carriage next to Viola while Tyler and Emma lounged across from them. As usual, he was enjoying entertaining the twins, yet every so often, he would send her furtive looks as if hoping for her to speak. Instead, she kept her gaze serenely directed out the window, watching houses bob past. She let herself daydream in order to tune out her sisters' chatting, and was only broken out of her reverie when the carriage came to a stop. She looked around, eyes widening as she realized where they were. She turned sharply, facing Tyler. "Why have we stopped?"