9. Lilith: Too Close For Comfort

Start from the beginning

"A kiss."

Her heart quickened inside her chest, practically a blur. Yet, she managed to keep a calm face, shaking her head slowly.

"Just a peck. On the cheek. And I'll let you go. You have my word."

"Do you really think this would scare me off? I play to win, Brandon Moore."

"So do I."

She waited a moment, then raised her head. He bent down at the same moment, and she planted a kiss above his jaw, her lips making a small, sweet sound against his skin. Brandon leaned his head near her left shoulder, watching her out of the corner of his eye. "You smell nice," he whispered, his breath skimming her hair. Something had changed in the tone of his voice, but she didn't quite know what.

Lilith pulled back, clearing her throat. "Alright. You gave your word."

Thankfully, he pulled back his arm, and she moved down the stairs, making sure not to hurry her steps. Just act as if you get asked by men for a kiss every other day.

By the time she made it back to her guests, she felt a little better, but it was not to last. Mrs. Etheridge appeared, looking distressed as she clutched Lilith's wrist. "You'd better come with me, Lilith."

"Why?"

"Come and see for yourself."

Lilith followed her, realizing that they were heading towards the entrance. Some of the servants were gathered there, blocking whatever was happening. "What's going on?" Lilith asked, breaking through. Someone was standing at the threshold, a lone figure in fine shirts, looking as handsome as she remembered. "Logan."

He nodded at her in greeting. "Hello, Lilith."

Hello. Like they were casual acquaintances or neighbors. Was this the same person she used to imagine making a life with one day?

Logan cleared his throat, nodding at the wall of servants. "There seems to be a bit of problem. I saw that there was a big event going on so I thought I might drop by, but .... "

"He has no invitation," Mr. Sykes pointed out.

"Of course not," Lilith said, putting on her best smile. "I had no idea you were in town, Logan, or I would have certainly extended you one."

"Really? I suppose I'll just have to take your word for it."

Lilith nodded at the servants, and they stepped back, except for Mr. Sykes. "Miss Lilith, your father - "

"I know. We have a thousand guests, I hardly think one will find his notice."

He withdrew, but there was a look in his eye that said, Don't say I didn't warn you.

"Logan," Lilith said, turning her attention back to him. "We're delighted to have you. Please come in, enjoy yourself."

"I intend to." He brushed past her, leaving her behind and joining the crowd.

Lilith bit her lip, realizing that all the servants were looking at her. "If anything happens, I'll accept the blame."

Seeming placated, they dispersed, returning to their duties. Once alone, the questions began popping up in Lilith's mind. Why? Why would Logan come here? If he was trying to make some kind of point by appearing here on this crucial night, it was lost on her. This is just what I don't need.

She cut across the floor, heading for the chaise longue where she'd last seen Kendall, following that ridiculously transparent fainting episode. She stopped, finding only the twins sitting on the cushions.

"Sorry about your dress," Viola sympathized.

"It wasn't too much trouble." Brandon Moore on the other hand .... "What happened to Tyler?"

"We don't know. When we came back, he was gone."

"He must be off with Kendall somewhere," Emma commented, her words coming off icy.

"Emma, I understand your feelings, but we're Harpers. We don't get jealous of girls like Kendall Moore."

Her sister said nothing, not seeming comforted. Lilith turned her head, looking out for her father. She hoped that he was he was still sitting and talking to Regina, as he had been all night. At least then, he wouldn't be likely to spot Logan. She spotted Regina in the same place, but instead of her father, it was Olivia holding a conversation with her. No.

Lilith cocked her head left and right, but couldn't find her father anywhere. "Don't get up to any trouble," she told her sisters before moving off. She picked her way through the crowd, responding half-heartedly to greetings and smiling apologetically as she refused offers to dance. She reached the edge of the hall, and was about to give up when she finally spotted her father.

He was hovering under the stairs with someone, and she craned her neck to get a better glimpse of him over her father's shoulder. Face narrow as a plank, a receding hairline and squiggly dark brows. Mr. Moore. He had a frown on his face, and Lilith knew that look. It was the same look she had when being reprimanded by her father. Whatever was going on, it must not be pleasant. 

She turned on her heel, walking away. Kendall might think she'd won tonight, but ultimately, the Harpers would always have the upper hand.